Shouldn't they be laying?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cici_p, Sep 7, 2009.

1. cici_p

cici_p Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    My ducks are four months old and no eggs yet!
    I am fairly sure that at least two of them are girls, as they are very loud and quacking all the time.
    Shouldn't I be seeing eggs by now?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

What kind of ducks are they? Some ducks are seasonal layers and only lay for a period of time in the spring and early summer.

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Ducks usually start laying AFTER 20 weeks unless, like Katy said, you have yourself some seasonal layers.

4. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    My ducks are six months old and not laying yet. It usually varies with the breed. Most start laying after 18-20 weeks unless they are seasonal layers. I have one hen that layed everyday last year but now all of a sudden she ahs decided to stop laying [​IMG]

5. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

My older ducks came of age in the late fall, and refused to lay until the following April... dang ducks.

6. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    MY Welsh Harlequins are 16 Weeks old today.. But I don't think they will start till maybe November or December.. I haven't bought them the layena yet.. and not giving them oyster shell.. Not sure when to start them .. Someone told me not to let them start laying till around 28 weeks, as it would be better for them in the long run..
    Hubby told me this afternoon that he caught one of the cayugas trying to mate with one the welsh.. the cayugas are the same age.. I told him they were still to young for that and that it was dominace, but he didn't beleive me..

7. I think they actually do start mating about a month before they start laying, although laying could stlll get delayed if it's the wrong time of year. Last year my Welsh Harlequin hen, born around April 1st layed her first egg October 30 and laid straight through until January 30 when she went into a molt. So she was about 30 weeks old when she started. I think she was delayed because I bought her in August and she went into a molt then due to the big change in her life (all of a sudden she found herself at the bottom of the pecking order with a bunch of strange ducks, no wonder).
    My Khaki Campbell was no more than 25 weeks when she started laying September 23. I don't know her birthday, just that she was born in April.
    You might want to start the Layena in a couple of weeks. It's good if they have it for a little while before they start to lay. Or at least give them the oyster shell free choice.

8. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Thank you for the information.. The person that told me to wait till they were older raises heirloom breeds of ducks.. he said by having the Wh's wait till about 28 weeks they don't have as much trouble when they start.. he has some that have been laying for 9 years..
    I'll proably start them on it in October.. or mid November.. Maybe sooner if I see them fooling around. LOL.. I still think hubby saw the males arguing.. or getting the pecking order down..

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  9. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    mine are 5 months and no eggs but i think mine are seasonal layers

10. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    They will start laying when they are ready if they have layer rations or not. Just offer a separate bowl of oyster shells and start the layena when you see and egg [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by