1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

shouldn't this hen/pullet be laying by now????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wjallen05, Aug 30, 2011.

1. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    I have a hen (pullet?) that I ordered as a day old chick back in January (the only one that I kept out of that batch when I downsized my flock a couple months back). She has never laid an egg before... EVER! WHY?!?! I've never had a hen go so long without laying. I ordered her from Ideal. I just placed an order with them for some new chicks (Black Production, White Leghorn, and Gold Comet) since my current flock is not laying AT ALL! The other 4 hens are 2 1/2-3 years old, also from Ideal. They were all laying great for the last 2 years but just stopped. Guess because of the change in season.

*forgot to mention, she is an Easter Egger.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Are you sure she's not hiding them somewhere?

3. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    positive.

4. DTRM30

DTRM30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    If you're positive she's not hiding them - my next guess would be one of these ...

Weather - very hot, sudden changes in

Stress - being harrassed by the other hens, weather, molting

Illness - internal reproductive deformity - internal laying - undetected illness that she is fighing off, but just hasn't shown external symptoms.

Age - she was hatched in January - that makes her about 7-8 months old - she may just be a late bloomer

Egg eating - she or other hens are eating the eggs (they will eat shells and all if in the habit) leaving no eggs to find. I can tell if my hens have eaten an egg because I will see a clumped sticky area in the bedding where the egg white was. Nothing left other than that. They don't do it often - but if an egg gets stepped on or broken - they will eat it without a second thought.

Of these - the weather, molting, illness and egg eating could affect all the hens - as you mentioned that none are laying. Even older hens (3 is getting old for laying) do still lay an egg now and then for the most part. My hens at 3 are laying about 3-4 eggs per week. They used to be 6 per week.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by