1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Shout out to anyone from South Jersey

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jrleader99, Mar 24, 2009.

1. jrleader99

jrleader99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi everyone. My name is Bill and I just wanted to say that I have been watching the BYC forum and checking out all of the coop designs. After much research, reading and more research and a little coaxing I have convinced my wife and 5 kids that we "need" chickens. We found someone selling 8 week old chicks, visited and will be picking them up on Friday. Along with the chicks we will be getting 7 Indian Runner ducks that are about 2 weeks old. We are all very excited and keep working toward getting the coops and runs ready.

I am planning on not housing them together so the chicken coop is almost done and the duck house still needs to be built. I will try to post some picks later of the work and the babies.

Again thanks to all that have posted such great advice and great designs.

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

3. n-da-woods

n-da-woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    North Carolina
    HELLO and WELCOME to BYC from NC

4. sugarbush

sugarbush Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Lexington KY
    Where is Salem county? I have a lot of family in Forked River and Waretown.

5. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    [​IMG]
    [COLOR=770077]From [/COLOR][COLOR=aa00aa]Old[/COLOR] [COLOR=cc00cc]Town,[/COLOR] [COLOR=ee00ee]Maine[/COLOR]

6. jrleader99

jrleader99 Chillin' With My Peeps

I just talked to the lady I am buying the chicks and ducks from, she told me one of the chicks was lame (has one foot pointing sideways). It still was able to walk but was asking if I wanted to nix that one from the bunch. Thoughts????

Also Salem County is in the south-western corner of New Jersey. Just over the river from tax free Delaware. [​IMG]

This part of New Jersey is mostly farmland and/or open salt marsh country. We are surrounded by many migratory birds and wildlife. I have whitetail deer, wild turkeys, skunks, and just about any other wild creature wandering through my yard from time to time. This part of NJ is also very historic with settlements dating back to when the Dutch landed in South Jersey. Check the area out by searching for Hancock House, Quinton Skirmish, Fort Mott State Park, Supawna Meadows, etc. There is also a lot of industry in the area - we have DuPont factories, PSE&G Nuclear plants, Anchor Glass, Mannington Flooring, etc.

Thanks for all of the welcomes.

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

[​IMG] You will love it here like the rest of us!

8. NJbirdlover

NJbirdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    Welcome neighbor!! Don't forget the coyotes..we have them too!

Lisa

9. cwc362

cwc362 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Huntingdon- West Tn
    [​IMG]

10. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    [​IMG], Bill!

Glad to have you here! [​IMG]