Show Bird explantion please?

savilcr

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 26, 2011
Georgia
Can someone explain to me in a nut shell what you look for to make a show quality bird, can you make any money at these shows? How does all this work? I want to start entering some eventually but just trying to figure out how everything works.

How do you make show quality birds? Make it easy on yourself and start out by buying SQ birds in the beginning. It's just easier that way, developing them can take years and a bit of fustration every now and again. (Although it's very rewarding)
Do I win money at shows? Yup! Along with numerous awards! But you have to be showing a bird that is extremely good quality if you want to win
smile.png

Shows are sort of simple if you get the hang of it. Let's say you enter a Delaware. She's in good condition and she's very good quality. Large Fowl birds are Split up into 6 sections. American, English, Asiatic, Continental, Mediterranean, and AOSB (all other standard breeds). Your bird is entered as American, cause Delawares were developed in America.
Now, the judge comes. He likes your hen! Since there's only 1 variety, you skip 'Best of Variety' and you win 'Best of Breed'! Good job! Now he's comparing your bird to the other ones in your class (He's looking at various Rhode Island Reds, Plymouth Rocks, and other things in the American class).
WOW! you just won Best of Class!! GREAT! Now he is comparing your bird to ALL of the largefowl birds in the show!!! The competition's getting tense now! HOLY CRAP! Your Delaware hen just won Best Largefowl! She has placed better than all of the largefowl in the show.
Now all you have to face is the 'Best Bantam' of the show. See him? It's that Pompous little Black Cochin Bantam glaring at you from his Cage. He's going to be some tough competition!
Take deep breaths now, don't faint. WOOHOOO!! You just won best in show!! Your the Best!! Good job!

Well, I hope You've enjoyed this show Simulation ^.^ please ask me If you want one for the bantam's classes

Quote:
Actually to become show champion that Delaware would also need to face the best Waterfowl, Turkey & Guinea Fowl.

I can tell you if you want to make money showing birds then you better find something else to do.We spend way more every year raising our birds than we will ever make back.Yeah we do sell a few at the end of the year and it helps with the feed bill but thats about it.We show for our own enjoyment and to talk with our friends that we have made from showing.Thats the best part for me.The best thing I would recommend is to pick the breed you like best.Breed them to their standard.Hopefully with enough help and luck you will get a few to show.Just start out with the very best stock that you can get.

Big money involved. $4 entry fee, $8 to win if you have the best bird. Maybe an itty bitty ribbon, more likely just a small shirt board notice.

But lots of nice people to meet.

Only if the rooster is exceptional. At that point, why would the owner want to get rid of him? He could better their own lines. Unless the person has 20 other great males..but then take into consideration the feed, space and work put into all of those males to grow them out to a size to choose for breeding.

There is NO money in showing birds !
What ever we make goes strait back into the flock.

Most of us Spend waaayy more money tending to the flock, Hatching & culling chicks & preping for shows, along with travle & entery fees & other types of cost etc.

There is no profit in it as far as making money, The only thing we gain from showing poultry is : New Friends, we also make Show points, Ribbons,Trophies, Placks, & some money, & A BIG N YOUR FACE !!!!!! to the friends I show against when I win . HAHA just kidding
lol.png

It's all Part of the Hobby
wink.png
thumbsup.gif

Actually, there are a few [very few] people who make money as a result of showing. Not from the showing itself but from selling birds based on their show history. The few this applies to have bvred birds for years & have been very successful in the show room. They also show all over the country so they are well known everywhere.
For most of us showing poultry is a hobby that may, at least, in part pay for itself. As I said in another similar thread I sometimes break even for the year. That doesn't happen too often & so far I have never turned a profit.
Anyone planning to show poultry as a money making venture will probably be disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom