Show bird has pale feat! help!

Jack Czerwonka

Chirping
Sep 6, 2017
I have a silver laced wyandotte bantam and her legs are white. She is a show bird and they should be bright yellow. She has had scaly leg mites but they are mostly gone accept for a couple scales that are bad and that have not grown yet. i have been letting her free range to. Thanks

I have a silver laced wyandotte bantam and her legs are white. She is a show bird and they should be bright yellow. She has had scaly leg mites but they are mostly gone accept for a couple scales that are bad and that have not grown yet. i have been letting her free range to. Thanks
Did she always have pale legs?
I would consider giving her lots of corn. That can help bring out the yellow in the feet.

Is white shanks considered a fault in the show ring?

If it is and your hen/pullet has NEVER had yellow shanks then obviously you were sold or you were given a bill of goods when you received this bird or her mamma and daddy.

I know a chicken breeder/peddler who sold 2,500 hatching eggs to a friend of mine.

The chicks from the breed that the breeder supposedly sold my friend should all come either yellow or white legged.

When the chicks began to hatch they were all GREEN legged or TERRAPIN legged but not a one of them showed either white or yellow legs. My friend called up the chicken breeder/peddler to complain. Without missing a beat the CHICKEN BREEDER/PEDDLER explained it like this.

"OM GOSH, I must have got the eggs mixed up and sent you the wrong batch of eggs. Because I promised Mr. Billy-Bob ____________________ (insert name of well known and respected BIG TIME game chicken man in the blank above) that I would never never never let any of his blood lines out of my hands, I will be at your place in 72 hours with 2,500 new hatching eggs and I will pick up all of those TERRAPIN legged chicks."

"OH no you want!!! my friend replied!!! YOU AIN'T PULLING A FAST ON ON ME!!! I am keeping these chicks because they have to be good game chickens if you got them from Billy-Bob __________________" !!! (at this point insert for a second time the name of the well known and regarded game chicken man.

The point of this true story is that you gotta get up really early and eat your razor soup to the very last drop then lick the bowl clean to get anything over on chicken peddlers.

Is white shanks considered a fault in the show ring?

If it is and your hen/pullet has NEVER had yellow shanks then obviously you were sold or you were given a bill of goods when you received this bird or her mamma and daddy.

I know a chicken breeder/peddler who sold 2,500 hatching eggs to a friend of mine.

The chicks from the breed that the breeder supposedly sold my friend should all come either yellow or white legged.

When the chicks began to hatch they were all GREEN legged or TERRAPIN legged but not a one of them showed either white or yellow legs. My friend called up the chicken breeder/peddler to complain. Without missing a beat the CHICKEN BREEDER/PEDDLER explained it like this.

"OM GOSH, I must have got the eggs mixed up and sent you the wrong batch of eggs. Because I promised Mr. Billy-Bob ____________________ (insert name of well known and respected BIG TIME game chicken man in the blank above) that I would never never never let any of his blood lines out of my hands, I will be at your place in 72 hours with 2,500 new hatching eggs and I will pick up all of those TERRAPIN legged chicks."

OH no you want!!! my friend replied!!! YOU AIN'T PULLING A FAST ON ON ME!!! I am keeping these chicks because they have to be good game chickens if you got them from Billy-Bob __________________" !!! (at this point insert for a second time the name of the well known and regarded game chicken man.

The point of this true story is that you gotta get up really early and eat your razor soup to the very last drop then lick the bowl clean to get anything over on chicken peddlers.
So your friend got an unexpected surprise and received the more prized game chicken eggs and decided to keep it? I'm confused.

So your friend got an unexpected surprise and received the more prized game chicken eggs and decided to keep it? I'm confused.
I wonder if the point of the story is either the peddler wanted someone to hatch chicks for them for free, or if that was merely the way the peddler was tricking them into wanting the offspec chicks...

No, he got some nondescript eggs whose mamma was at best a hen and whose daddy may have been a rooster but that's about it. However the quick thinking and sweet lipped Breeder-SLASH Chicken Peddler made the best? of a losing proposition and convinced my friend
to keep these chicks and to treasure them.:th

I only write about it now because both of these gentlemen have gone on to that big fly pen in the sky.

Back
Top Bottom