1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Show bird supplements?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SundownWaterfowl, Aug 26, 2010.

1. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Any supplements you would reccomend giving to show birds? What about adding some additional vitamins? I saw my local feed store has rooster booster b12 liquid, would that be a good supplement? I think I remember reading that cat food was a good supplement, in moderation because of the high protein content, true or not?

Any help you can give I would so appreciate. [​IMG]

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    My adult birds get layer pellets free choice mixed with BOSS.

For a treat I give whole oats. Other than that...nothing else.

3. Vcomb

Vcomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
  4. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Vcomb, I've been using it on my growing chicks. I haven't noticed a big difference in feather quality, but it is the first feathers coming in also.

The growth of the chicks seems to be fairly steady though. The feathers "did" come in faster on one batch than another that was fed the chick starter/grower until 12 weeks.

5. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    I started you using it about three weeks ago. Its difficult to tell if they are eating it since one of the things I mix in to their crumbles is also a pellet. If I can find the time tomorrow I'm going to add separate cups for the Manna Pro. That way I'll know for certain they are eating it.

6. ()relics

()relics horse/dog shrink

Jan 4, 2009
    indiana
    any supplement, ANY, should not be tried for the first time if you are in the middle of a show circuit. Any ration/additive change should be started weeks/months in advance to insure any specific bird won't react poorly to its addition. You wouldn't want to throw one of your show birds into a molt or cause it to go off feed because of a reaction to a ration change. Better to try new things in the off-season and record the results and the time-frames for future uses. I like the BOSS....For any species...JMO

7. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    My Silkies refuse pellets of anything....they do enjoy the Manna Pro Gamebird Starter......I mix it in with Gamebird Starter Mash, Laying Mash, wheat, BOSS, & safflower. I also add kitten chow to their cooked breakfast; the kitten chow is smaller than the cat chow.

8. josh44

josh44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2008
    San Antonio Texas
    Quote:I personally have never used this conditioner, I just allow my fowl layer crumble, & to free range . Occasionally I switch to Game cock feed or game cock conditioner.

I know many people that use game bird conditioner and swear by it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  9. cochin123

cochin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    fort walton beach, fl
    Quote:me and my chickens/gamebirds love it
    and i do give them B12 in the pellet form !!
    and i can tell a BIG difference in the feather quality and bird health/activity ( and body weight in the bantam cochins )

10. Vcomb

Vcomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
    ()relics :

any supplement, ANY, should not be tried for the first time if you are in the middle of a show circuit. Any ration/additive change should be started weeks/months in advance to insure any specific bird won't react poorly to its addition. You wouldn't want to throw one of your show birds into a molt or cause it to go off feed because of a reaction to a ration change. Better to try new things in the off-season and record the results and the time-frames for future uses. I like the BOSS....For any species...JMO

I agree with this, I have a show of birds I'm putting up for a show in October so they won't be the ones I use this product on. Most likely if I give it a try it won't be til next year since I will only be making one show this fall. Main thing I ought to do is sit down with the guy at the feed mill and see what his take is on it, since I have my normal ration custom ground locally.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by