1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Show Birds???

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Firefyter-Emt, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Firefyter-Emt

Firefyter-Emt Chillin' With My Peeps

Yesterday the family and I were at the Woodstock, Conn. Fair, and while browsing the chicks, I noticed that many of the entries had been mounted many times.

Now, I am talking "birds in a show" that had entire backs plucked bare! What the heck? Is this normal to allow birds with such large "injuries" into a show? You could hear it again and again with parents explaining why (so they thought) the feathers were missing. [​IMG]

But really, why would you allow a bird like that in a show, even more, why the heck do you enter a half plucked bird!!??

2. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    i would not enter any of mine if they are missing any feathers at all, it is a DQ.

3. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Quote:Yep, missing feathers is a dq.

However, I wouldn't refer to missing feathers and an "injury". Unless the roosters have left sores from their spurs, it's purely cosmetic.

4. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Not sure unless they are hoping to auction them off. At our fair the only birds with lost feathers were those who were molting. [​IMG]

5. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I do not believe that missing feathers is a DQ, but something they would "take points off for". It is not listed on the APA SOP as something a bird can be DQ'd for anyway.

6. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    pips&peeps :

I do not believe that missing feathers is a DQ, but something they would "take points off for". It is not listed on the APA SOP as something a bird can be DQ'd for anyway.

"Altering appearance" is a dq, and that includes plucking feathers that are off color (such as gold hackles in a black bird). At least, that's how it was explained to me at my last poultry show (which, granted, was about seven years ago...).​

7. pips&peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I believe that refers to when a person purposely pulls out feathers to alter the appearance, not from molting or injury to the feather.

For instance pulling out black feathers on a white bird. The birds referred to in the post were bare backed because of breeding.

8. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    pips&peeps :

I believe that refers to when a person purposely pulls out feathers to alter the appearance, not from molting or injury to the feather.

For instance pulling out black feathers on a white bird. The birds referred to in the post were bare backed because of breeding.

Maybe that judge was just more picky? It was a APA sanctioned show, and the judge dq'd four exhibits b/c of bare backs (none were mine). It's possible he was just trying to send a message not to bring in birds like that, not really sure. Maybe it is an individual decision.​

9. pips&peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I have taken birds to show with 1 or 2 missing feathers and have still done very well.

I think when you are dragging in birds that look like they are featherless then you have a problem. The plumage is supposed to look nice, not ratty and buggy...... [​IMG]

10. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Why bother. I know everyone who has any, allows their top quality birds to get some. And we all have had bare backs. But, IF you are serious about winning anything, unless you are the ONLY one with that breed, why even show the bird? Is it to add more stress, to assure it will take even longer till the bird grows some feathers? Who knows. I agree, do not show those birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by