1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Show Breeding

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by austincoopersilkiesies, Jul 11, 2011.

1. austincoopersilkiesies

austincoopersilkiesies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2010
    Downingtown Pa
    Can A Show Silkie Come From Hatchery Parent Stock??

2. rilly10

rilly10 Clover Field Farm

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    It is doubtful in my honest opinion. If you are looking for a show quality silkie, you will want to find a show breeder. Most hatcheries do not breed to the SOP (Standard of Perfection)which is what birds are judged on. It is a written ideal standard all show breeders strive to meet. A good club to join would be the American Silkie Bantam Club. There are also lots of show breeders on here. Are you in Downingtown, PA? I am in Chester County and breed show silkies. I would be happy to help you find some birds if you are looking. [​IMG]

3. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Quote:You would have to order a bunch of them and at best they would be decent. You would be much better off getting chicks from a breeder. They have better heritage also. I think even if you would get good silkies from a hatchery, they would probably produce chicks with a bunch of faults.

4. austincoopersilkiesies

Feb 27, 2010
    Downingtown Pa
    Hey rilly10
    I Am In Downingtown Pa And Im Not Currently Looking But Do You Show Your Birds If You Do Do You Show At The PA Farm Show?What Do You Look For In Show Birds?

5. rilly10

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    I am not sure if I will be going this year as I am pregnant and due in November, and the show is in January so I have to see how everything is going at the time. Hopefully I will be there!

I look for overall type first. What I mean by type is the shape and overall picture of the bird and how it is built. I want a bird that looks like what I picture after reading the SOP. After type, I look at the details such as their skin color, comb, and feet. Lastly I look at color. I want my blacks BLACK with a beetle green sheen in the sun. No off colors in the hackles, and no light underfluff. In splash I look for 50/50 color (not too light, not to dark). Blues I like a lighter smoky blue, one that is easily distinguishable from a black. For lavenders (aka: self blues) I look for correct color, and even color.

My best advice is to read the SOP over and over. Also, look at lots of breeders websites, and study winning birds at the shows you attend. If you want opinions, post pics here. Deff check out the ASBC too. If you join there are LOTS of show winning birds pictured on there, the SOP is on there, and lots of great info! Here is a link to the SOP: http://www.americansilkiebantamclub.org/standard.asp

6. austincoopersilkiesies

Feb 27, 2010
    Downingtown Pa
    Ok I Hope Too See You There How Do You Sign Up For The Poultry Show?And How Do You Distinquish Show Quality As Chicks After All The Down Is Lost?

7. austincoopersilkiesies

Feb 27, 2010
    Downingtown Pa
    Hey rilly10
    Yes I Do Live In Downingtown Pa!How Do You Sign Up For The Pa Farm Shows Poultry Show? And What Do You Look For In A Show Quality Chick In Silkies?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  8. rilly10

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    Other than toes, foot feathering, combs, and if they have a beard or not, there is not much you can tell about chicks. I only cull chicks for bad feet (I never get single combs), or not enough foot feathering. Other thank that you just have to wait and see how they grow. I give them at least 3 months to make my second cuts.

9. austincoopersilkiesies

Feb 27, 2010
    Downingtown Pa
    Ok And How Do You Sign Up For The Pa Farm Shows Poultry Show? What About Back Length DO You Cut Them For That?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  10. rilly10

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    Not sure, haven't gone yet as an exhibitor but I saw on on other one of your threads someone posted a contact...I would start there and get a show catalog. That would give you all of the info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by