show breeds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ipie68, Oct 30, 2011.

1. ipie68

ipie68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2011
    Penfield, PA
    what type of cold hearty breeds are for show [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    all apa breeds can be shown.

3. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
  4. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    Any APA recognized breed can be used for show. The trick is to first decide large fowl or bantam. Then narrow that down to a cold hardy breed (avoid large single combs). Further refine that down to the type you like (racy flightly breeds or plumper sedate breeds), then make your final decision on the actual breed you want to work with. Depending on the breed, you'll then need to narrow that down to the variety (color) you like.

Now the search is on, find a breeder raising show stock. You don't want to start with hatchery birds unless there is no other way. If you start with hatchery stock, it will take many years and generations with heavy culling just to get to the starting point you'd have with buying SQ birds.

Good luck in your search, I think the decision progress is the hard (and fun) part.

Deb

5. ipie68

Oct 29, 2011
    Penfield, PA
    i dont have a time limit but i would like to know because i plan on entering the chicken show at the clearfield county fair, they have one every year [​IMG]

6. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    Quote:I think by time limit, they meant to look at all the breeds of chickens available.

It appears you just want to buy an entrant. In that case, go to a local poultry show (you can find listings on the internet), buy a bird out of the sale area that doesn't have a DQ and you are ready to go to the Fair.

For myself, I prefer for my entries to be birds I have raised myself or at the very least have been under my care and husbandry practices for at least several months. It just doesn't feel right to me any other way.

Good luck in your search.

Deb

7. ipie68

Oct 29, 2011
    Penfield, PA
    i plan on buy ing them in spring but they r probably going to be raised for a couple years or untill they meet the requirements [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    My opinion? It's easier to win with a breed that has a very distinctive type.

It's easier to win with a top quality Silkie than with a top quality plain white Leghorn. However, for your situation, Silkies aren't cold hardy.

But find a breed where there is some really distinctive feature that a judge can recognize very quickly. That draws his attention so that he can see the overall quality of the bird.

9. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:why arent silkies cold hardy i live michigan and my silkies do just fine in the cold

10. ipie68

Oct 29, 2011
    Penfield, PA
    is the rhode island red a show breed
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by