1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. silkie101

silkie101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Plantcity Florida
    hi im going to start showing silkies in november and i was wondering how you set up the cages and what you need and also what do the judges ask you
    im new to the chicken world please help thanks!!!

2. KBlue

KBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Katy, TX
    The cages should already be set up for you when you arrive. Depending on the show, you may need to provide the bedding, feeders/feed, and waterers/water. Contact the show secretary for details on a particular show. Unless you are signed up for showmanship, the judges will not ask you anything. Generally each row is cordoned off as the judge goes through to do their thing, so you will not be around anyway.

If you are doing showmanship, they could ask you anything from anatomy, your handling of the bird, disease identification and treatment, and/or breed-specific trivia (an example for silkies - why are their feathers fluffy instead of streamlined like other breeds?). Anything is fair game during showmanship, so I recommend learning as much as you can between now and then.

Hope that helps! Good luck!
    [​IMG]

3. silkie101

silkie101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Plantcity Florida
    Quote:yay thanks that helps a lot [​IMG] i will tell you how it went in about 5 months lol [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by