1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Show Chicken on the ground or in a hutch?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by silver1polish, Mar 13, 2016.

1. On the Grassy Ground

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Inside the Hutch

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. silver1polish

silver1polish Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2014
    Sadened...
    How do people with show chickens keep them?
    I have a rabbit hutch, but im trying to debate. Is keeping a show chicken (such as a serum) better to keep them in a hutch?, In a cage?, or on the grassy ground?

thx :D
    Silver1Polish [​IMG]

2. JetCat

JetCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    on the ground always worked best for me (less feather/feet damage likely) then the week before the show move them in a small cage with a solid bottom and clean bedding changed daily and do your cleaning/prep routine.

3. silver1polish

Jun 18, 2014
    Sadened...
    That sounds like a good routine before the show (well a week before anyways [​IMG])

4. JetCat

JetCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    It's all in the prep work!!

I'll do a good washing and use a toothbrush to clean legs/feet/wattles/comb then a pedicure right before going into the hold cage. Then 3 days before another wash and allow the chicken to preen itself dry, this gives the feathers their best look and allows time for the natural oils to get back in them after the washing.

5. silver1polish

Jun 18, 2014
    Sadened...
    I once did a project about chicken washing! for 4-H :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by