Show Chickens?

Malbri

Songster
12 Years
Jan 10, 2008
Bowdoin
What is a good breed for starting out to show chickens? I havent done that much research, but I know that you want a somewhat common breed so that they actually have compatition and so the judge is familiar with the breed and doesnt misjudge it. Any ideas? Right now I have one lonely black sex link, the last of 4, and I really enjoyed them, and I think they are pretty. Would they make good show birds?
Also, where do you get show- quality chickens?

Show quality birds come from show quality lines that private breeders raise. If you are doing 4H it is more showmanship than bird quality. In most shows, you can only show birds that appear in the book of standards. Thus your sexlinks, a mutt, could not be shown. In a 4H fair though, if you are young enough to be in a youth group, you can often show mixes like that.

I'm sure real showers out there will chime in soon.

It all depends on where you show your birds. I'm not sure if the APA recognizes the black sex link.

The best place to start is to get the American Poultry Assoc. standard of perfection book. This will let you know all of the recognized breeds, what the defects and disqualifications are, and the standards for the breeds. If you are looking to get bantams, you can also look at the American Bantam Association book.

You should get your show chickens from a breeder. The APA and ABA have breeder information, I believe.

My son shows modern game bantams, Old English game bantams and D'Uccles, for 4-H. They are small enough for him to handle.

There are so many chickens to choose from. Pick a couple of chickens you like, and when you go to the shows, the breeders always have some for sale. So, after walking around the show for a day or two, you will have a better idea of what you might like.

Hope this helps. We have only had chickens for a couple of months, but after reading this forum, I have learned so much, and I want more chickens!!
D.gif

Thanks, I guess ill have to go to a show. Thing is....chick ordering is in spring, and shows are in the summer. Id like to get chicks this spring, because I enjoy raising them. How do I find breeders? I live in maine.....
I did a google search with no avail.

Oh crap, now that I think about it, most chickens you cant tell the sex until they are older right? Isnt that only with sex links? Now that I think about it, I may need to get older chickens, because I cannot be having roosters

Ang - I wish I'd have done that --

It is a great suggestion to walk around a show and see what you like and then check the standards-

Talk to breeders

Just remember we are kinda jaded for our breeds- I would swear if your just starting out nothing better then Faverolles or harder then Silkies- I love them both- but Faverolles are just so sweet and easy to care for - Of Course my D'uccles are cute to -- and well I love the Serama --ok talk to another breeder cuz I took along time to make it down to the 3 breeds I like the best and I still have a few odds - Like my polish group and the white cochins - ok I never really made it down to Just 3
lol.png

Hi. I know its far for you, but there is a show this saturday in Mass. I've heard they have many for sale on Saturday morning, but that they sell fast so you need to be there early. There is a post about it under the topics.

Back
Top Bottom