"Show-Chins" anyone? Showgirl roo, Mottled cochin hens!

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by onthespot, Aug 9, 2009.

1. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    $10 for a dozen of these eggs. Anyone wanting to work on mottled silkies, here would be your start! The roo is a showgirl and he is SO SWEET natured and a VERY GOOD BOY!!! Couldn't ask for a nicer rooster, ever! He is in with my mottled cochin girls. Babies would likely hatch out all solid black, all split for mottled, and whatever other color genetics this roo carries. I don't know yet. If you cross the F1 (first generation) babies you should get some mottled, silkie feathered chicks tha would need some work to get back to silkie standard, but it's a start! Need to ship Tuesday. First one who posts "SOLD" on this thread is the official buyer. Shipping is $11 with delivery confirmation. Cold packs available $2/each.

mommas:

[​IMG]

Daddy: Daddy has excellent toe separation, by the way, and a pea comb. It is hard to find Showgirl roos with this dark of neck pigment. It is a good start at least. You saw it on BYC first!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  2. Chef

Chef Chicken Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2008
    So.Cal
    Man I sooo want to try these eggies [​IMG] . I just filled the bator with BC eggs though. I will be getting ahold of you after this batch. That roo is TOTALLY cool [​IMG] and the cochins are beautiful.

Chef

3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    awww... you can just have some. Let me know ahead of time when you will have room.

4. Chef

Chef Chicken Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2008
    So.Cal
    OH YA!!! I will indeed!

Chef

5. tofuranch

tofuranch What Came First????

Dec 11, 2008
    your birds look great....I wish that I had space for another breed---thinking, thinking

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  6. insiderart

insiderart Obviously Insane

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    Hey Patty,

Got the show-chins in the incubator. Forgot to reply to your pm so, sorry I hate it when people do that to me. It's crazy here right now.

My incubator is full now, so unfortunately, no room for more eggs. I need to go study up on mottled genetics. Then NN gene is easy to get back in, it's the motteling that's the issue.

7. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    mottled is recessive. If both parents show it, all babies show it. If one parent carries and the other does not, no babies show it but all carry it. If one shows it, one carries it, half the babies will show it, the other half will carry it. If both parents don't show it but carry it, 25% will show it, 50% will carry it but not show it, and $25% will not carry it at all, but you will have no way of knowing which is which, so crossing split x split mottled gets you 75% unknown splits and 25% mottled. Hope that helps some.

I have no IDEA what colors the roo carries. Maybe Chef can chime in here and tell us what colors he got from him when he used him to make more showgirls... Chef? Did you get any splashes or partridges out of him? Inquiring minds want to know... Thanks AGAIN for such a great guy. He might be my favorite rooster. (SSSsshhhhh!!!! not so LOUD!) [​IMG]

8. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Quote:Cmon tofu... The don't even need a real PEN until next year, fer crying out loud!!! They won't even need more than a incubator and a cardboard box till nearly Halloween! SURELY you could find something on craigslist by THEN!!! (Bid!Bid!Bid!) [​IMG]

9. Chef

Chef Chicken Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2008
    So.Cal
    Quote:Well let me think. I bred him to my white silkie who was said to be hatched from showgirl parents, and I bred him to my partridge showgirl. I got a couple partridge showgirls, a few white showgirls, and a few white silkies. A fairly even mix of all. No other colors beside white and partridge. Also I didn't hatch to many eggs from them maybe 16 or so. Hope this helps.

Chef

10. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    No... but do you know of any colored babies you had directly from the showgirl roo in this thread? If they were all white, then we don't know any more. If some were partridge directly fathered by him, then we would know he carreid partridge. If any were splash, we would know he carries at least blue, If any buff, he would carry buff. Sometimes you can get partridge from buffs and buffs from partridge/buff parings. I saw you had different colored showgirls but I wasn't sure if you bought them or bred them and if you bred them, if my new roo was the daddy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: