Show ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by farm316, Aug 22, 2014.

1. farm316

farm316 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014
    Are there any show ducks on here? If so I would like to see what they look like. I think I may have some female Rouen's that are show worthy, the lady that we got them from bred show ducks. [​IMG]
    The big ones have low necks that almost drag the ground.

I would like to see pictures of your show ducks.

2. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Well, I have a show quality duck, but I've never even been to a duck or bird show in my life so I don't know how helpful I'd be. :/

3. HumbleHen207

HumbleHen207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2013
    Maine
  4. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    Ohhh, I've never seen a show Cayuga before! I'd love to see some photos!

5. HumbleHen207

HumbleHen207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2013
    Maine
    w[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are my main pair, the drake won a lot of prizes at the fair last year. Had a lot of requests for ducklings this year, so many I couldnt keep up! Going to need to purchase some more stock for next year I think...

6. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    [​IMG]
    Welsh Harlequin drake. 1st place, BB, BV

[​IMG]
    Pekin Hen, BB, BV, 1st

[​IMG]
    Lilac ancona drake, 1st, BB, BV

[​IMG]
    Khaki campbell hen, 1st, Champion waterfowl

[​IMG]
    Khaki Campbell drake, 1st, BB, BV, Best light weight duck, Reserve Champion Waterfowl

[​IMG]
    Cayuga trio. Drake (on right) BB, BV, 1st, and Best medium duck. The 2 hens placed first also (1 in the Jr show)

[​IMG]
    Blue swedish splash crested drake. BB, BV, 1st

[​IMG]
    Lilac (blue fawn) muscovy drake. 1st, BB, BV

[​IMG]
    These are the 2 khakis above

7. KARy408

KARy408 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2014
    Livermore, CA
    Wow Learycow! Beautiful!!!

8. donkeydew2farms

donkeydew2farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2014
    learycow those are beautiful ducks specially the Cayuga. how do you get involved in showing ducks. are there listings of shows or a magazine ? right now I no my ducks are not show quality but in the future I will get well bred ducks and geese.

9. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Thanks!

I show mainly at the state level but will venture into the bigger poultry shows once I have time.
    Look into your state fairs. Most have poultry shows (not all are APA judged though) so you can at least start by showing for fun.
    Rules are different for most. Some require friendly birds you handle and show yourself. Others won't allow you in the building during judging and simply look at them through the cages and take them out if needed.

Even if yours aren't show quality, you can bring them or enter them and more judges will be happy to talk to you and discuss what you need to breed for to get better quality in your flocks :)

10. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    I'd love to show my duck at the county fair! I even found a registration form on their website and everything, so I think sometimes it really is that easy. I just don't think I'm ready yet, though. Maybe next year when she's fully grown ^^

I do have a question for you, though...what do you need to show? Are there, like, regulation size cages? Are you allowed to keep food and water during judging? Are you supposed to take them out?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by