Show girl silkies?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Teresaann24, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    My question is showgirl silkies have the naked necks? Ok are there 2 certin silkies bred for this trait or are these mixed to get the showgirl silkies?

2. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    I actually dunno? LOL Ill bump you up, Im curious.

3. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    The reason this came to my mind to ask is I was reading another thread. On the online contest threads and saw the one about turkins. I saw someone post some pictures of there showgirl silkies. Got me to thinking..LOL

4. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    showgirls r a silkie w/ the naked neck gene. they origionated from a crossing of a turken to a silkie. people put showgirl/silkies because in hatching either breed can hatch from them. if u want to see more pics of showgirls go to my first website link in my signature, i have lots of pics of my showgirl flock there. i have bearded and nonbearded in partridge, splash, white and blues. i'm working on adding the frizzle gene also. my flock is 11th generation to 16th generation.
    silkie

5. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    so the breed of silkie known as a showgirl was began mixing with a turken but has over time just became a purebred silkie with the naked neck?

Reason I was wondering my 5 I have have siblings that are naked neck showgirls as you say and I was wondering could they produce offspring with the necked necks even tho they arent?

6. therealsilkiechick

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    yes, it is crossed back many generations to silkies thus creating the new breed showgirls. mine r advanced enough they breed true to only silkies or showgirls, they do not throw turkens.

i can't answer that based on my own mateings but to my knowledge no a silkie born from a showgirl breeding cannot throw a showgirl baby unless bred back to a showgirl.

7. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    ok so even tho my chicks are from showgirls but dont have the nnecked necks they wouldnt throw showgirl chicks unless they were bred with a showgirl. Ok i got it...I love learning new things! Oh and BTW your chickens are beautiful!

8. therealsilkiechick

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    as far as i know from talking to other breeders that is correct. i breed mine back to pure silkies and showgirls unrelated so i can't answer that from my mateings. so it's the best i know how to answer from what i've heard not seen myself from my personal breeding projects. lol, i hope that made sence.

oh, i forgot, thank you! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  9. werblessd1s

werblessd1s Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    NORTH FLORIDA
    therealsilkiechick, I love your splash silkies they are beautiful. I would love to get some eggs from you come Spring if possible. Can't wait to see some frizzles.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  10. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    That's correct, unless a bird visually has a naked neck, it does not carry the gene and cannot product any with naked necks. I also have pics of a few showgirls and frizzle showgirls on my photobucket account.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by