Show life on a silkie?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by happyheart, Jan 28, 2009.

1. happyheart

happyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Thornville, Oh
    In general what is the show expectancy on a Silkie? Like a year old or two years? i would kinda like to start showing but I have never shown chickens only guinea pigs and their show life isnt't that long. Thanks so much

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Actually...there are breeders with other breeds that show until the bird dies.

Brahmas have a very long show life. The older they get...the better they get.

I would expect for Silkies to have a similar show life...but I can't wait to see what the breeders say.

3. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    It depends on the bird...some bloom at 8 months and you might get a few really good shows then they're done, while others may be shown for many years.

4. happyheart

Aug 25, 2008
    Thornville, Oh
    Now would birds generally be kept from free ranging and up off the ground in order to keep their feathers in tact and not get all yucky.
    It seems like my girls are always into something and they always have dirty spots on them.

5. LilPeeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    They should be kept inside on very clean shavings so their foot feathers stay intact and relatively clean.

6. happyheart

Aug 25, 2008
    Thornville, Oh
    Do you ever let the free range just get them exercise i think it keeps them happier when they get to get out of the pen for even a short time. [​IMG]

7. LilPeeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    In the off season (non show seasons) they are in breeding pens and are allowed to free range. Eight weeks before a show, I seperate the males from the females and get them conditioned for show.

8. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    Im with you too going to show this year my silkies are ready to go this year YAY!

9. happyheart

Aug 25, 2008
    Thornville, Oh
    I guess that would make perfect sense then I didnt think of it that way.

10. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

It highly depends on the birds genetics, but other factors such as living condition, healthcare, NUTRITION etc all play into that equation. I've known people who have shown birds into their fifth and sixth year of life if not longer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by