Show me chicken colors

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by lecobb, Aug 29, 2010.

1. lecobb

lecobb Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2010
    I'm gearing up to get my first pet chickens, and the more I research, the more I realize that i'm leaning towards certain colors just as much as certain breeds. I can't seem to find anywhere online that gives a comprehensive list of the various colors. About the time I think i've gotten them all, I see something new. Anyone game for listing colors (and a picture), or is there already somewhere out there that's done this?

2. dan_grow

dan_grow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    st. Louis
    well i only know a few names for some of the patterns and colorations on chickens and that is

Mottled (pattern)
    bard (pattern)
    laced (pattern)
    penciled (pattern)
    splash (color)
    wheaten (color)

if you look these up on the site then you should get some helpful results, but it would be better if you just look up the breeds you want and see what different types there are.

by the way what breeds do you want?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  3. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    You have the advantage of deciding what breed you want. Feathersite might give you the different colour. When I got mine I didn't research them. I grabbed the chicks I thought were cute all different. I know next time what I want

4. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Welcome and Good Luck...here are some of my partridge cochins [​IMG]
    followed by my Mille Fleur D'Uccles [​IMG] followed by my speckled sussex [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by