Show me EExCochin,EExBR, EExPolish or EExButtercup mutts, please????

Discussion in 'Online Poultry Show' started by ChooksChick, Aug 7, 2009.

1. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Or how about EE x Polish?

I have an EE roo and want to see if if would be good-looking or garish if I hatched out eggs from him and my various girls.

Also, would any of you genetics folks know what happens when you mix a bird with those typical white/black EE roo markings with a bird with the typical Buttercup markings? All of my other pullets in question are also B/W or some variation thereof, but the Buttercups have that golden speckledy partridge-ish get-up and I'm not sure what one would end up with...and I am thinking 'Designer Chicken' but don't want them to end up ugly...poor things!

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  2. chickenlover98

chickenlover98 Songster

Jul 21, 2008
    Hogwarts
    Well I have an ee and 5 buttercups, but I don't have a mutt of them together.

3. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:Does it seem folly to mix the two? I never used to think of it, but I would just love to see the outcome!!

4. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    I got pictures for you!

Ok, here is an EE/Polish cockeral at about 14 weeks.

[​IMG]

This is my little EE/Polish splash hen same age.

[​IMG]

This is Stinkerbelle, an EE/Cochin. I'm not sure yet, but I'm starting to suspect that Stinkerbelle is a Stinkerbeau.

[​IMG]

I have other EE/Cochin mixed pullets as well. One of them is blue and the other is black with a yellow patch on her eye. They both favor the cochin with green legs and they both have feathered legs.

5. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Songster

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I say go for it ! I love the patterns on our Buttercup hens; they are very regal looking.
    The EE'scome in so many different patterns and colors too. If you dont like them you can always sell them or give them to a good home. I was surprised this spring when I had a Light Brahma/Black Jersey Giant cross; ended up with beautiful black babies with feathered feet and a white neck ring around them like the Brahmas. Go for it !!! Thats the beauty of raising chickens; mixing and matching. Someone crossed a buttercup with a Dark cornish and called it a Buttercorn and he was Gorgeous !!!! Try to search for that pic. It had the coloring of the Cornish but the body of a Buttercup !

good luck ! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. ChooksChick

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Ohhhh!! Those were wonderful!! I will search for the Buttercorn, too!!

Show me more pics, folks! I'm loving them!

7. crazy huhn

crazy huhn Songster

May 24, 2008
  8. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Quote:S(he) is very pretty! I don't know much about breeding chickens yet, but couldn't you breed your roo with say a buttercup, and the chicks hatch out, couldn't you take the 2 that most resemble the buttercup, and breed for a buttercup with colored eggs? Like I said, I don't really know anything about breeding chickens, but how else would you get a colored egg layer? Then, keep breeding to get the chickens back to the buttercup standard, but with colored eggs... It sounds so easy and fast [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Here is a Cochin/EE cross chick, it's the small red/blue one on the far side. The other 2 are standard EE x's though too. a roo and a hen.
    [​IMG]

10. LydsZoo

LydsZoo In the Brooder

Jan 20, 2009
    I'm hatching some EE x Cochins right now...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: