Show me EExCochin,EExBR, EExPolish or EExButtercup mutts, please????

ChooksChick

BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist
15 Years
Aug 17, 2008
Larry, KS
My Coop
My Coop
Or how about EE x Polish?

I have an EE roo and want to see if if would be good-looking or garish if I hatched out eggs from him and my various girls.

Also, would any of you genetics folks know what happens when you mix a bird with those typical white/black EE roo markings with a bird with the typical Buttercup markings? All of my other pullets in question are also B/W or some variation thereof, but the Buttercups have that golden speckledy partridge-ish get-up and I'm not sure what one would end up with...and I am thinking 'Designer Chicken' but don't want them to end up ugly...poor things!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Quote:
Does it seem folly to mix the two? I never used to think of it, but I would just love to see the outcome!!

I got pictures for you!

Ok, here is an EE/Polish cockeral at about 14 weeks.

DSCN0288.jpg

This is my little EE/Polish splash hen same age.

RobbiePullet.jpg

This is Stinkerbelle, an EE/Cochin. I'm not sure yet, but I'm starting to suspect that Stinkerbelle is a Stinkerbeau.

DSCN0359.jpg

I have other EE/Cochin mixed pullets as well. One of them is blue and the other is black with a yellow patch on her eye. They both favor the cochin with green legs and they both have feathered legs.

I say go for it ! I love the patterns on our Buttercup hens; they are very regal looking.
The EE'scome in so many different patterns and colors too. If you dont like them you can always sell them or give them to a good home. I was surprised this spring when I had a Light Brahma/Black Jersey Giant cross; ended up with beautiful black babies with feathered feet and a white neck ring around them like the Brahmas. Go for it !!! Thats the beauty of raising chickens; mixing and matching. Someone crossed a buttercup with a Dark cornish and called it a Buttercorn and he was Gorgeous !!!! Try to search for that pic. It had the coloring of the Cornish but the body of a Buttercup !

good luck !
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

Ohhhh!! Those were wonderful!! I will search for the Buttercorn, too!!

Show me more pics, folks! I'm loving them!

Quote:
S(he) is very pretty! I don't know much about breeding chickens yet, but couldn't you breed your roo with say a buttercup, and the chicks hatch out, couldn't you take the 2 that most resemble the buttercup, and breed for a buttercup with colored eggs? Like I said, I don't really know anything about breeding chickens, but how else would you get a colored egg layer? Then, keep breeding to get the chickens back to the buttercup standard, but with colored eggs... It sounds so easy and fast
tongue2.gif
jumpy.gif
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom