1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Show Me How you House your Meat Chickens!!!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by new2chickens2011, Oct 15, 2011.

1. new2chickens2011

new2chickens2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    I've been researching, and I'm going to start raising some Cornish X's! Just a few at a time, probably start with 3 or 4. However, still not sure about housing. What do you keep yours in? Pics please!!! [​IMG] Thank you so much [​IMG]

2. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    First I rear them to 3 weeks in a wooden-sided brooder. It has a nest area surrounded by fresh dry hay (about 4 inches deep) at one end, and a run at the other.
    This is the nest area. The box on top contains the loose hay. Below that is the nest area, and chicks huddle underneath.
    [​IMG]

Skewy pic but it shows the whole unit.
    [​IMG]

This is what I house them in as growers, from 3 weeks of age, with an insulated night-box that I move around when I move the tractor. When they're feathered I take the night-box out. I raise mine till they're 11 weeks old rather than 8, and I move the tractor whenever the grass is eaten down.
    PS the ones in it at present are just some layers, as you can see.
    [​IMG]

I look forward to seeing other styles of meat bird housing! I'm sure most will be neater and prettier than mine... My birds tend to rough it. [​IMG]

regards
    Erica

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    We raise ours in simple wooden brooders until they are 3wks and then they are moved to tractors that have hanging waterers. We have just started putting in feeders on the sides of the tractors that enables us to feed them from the outside without having to take feeders in and out.

Brooder with the top parts closed:
    [​IMG]

Brooder with top open,there are three separate parts to the roof (we were in the middle of cleaning this one out so excuse the dirty bedding still in there):
    [​IMG]

A tractor with the doors open:
    [​IMG]

4. new2chickens2011

new2chickens2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Thanks for all the ideas! [​IMG]

5. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a small tractor, 2x8, similar to the ones pictured. For small batches.

6. TDM

TDM Chillin' With My Peeps

Free range

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. hschweitzer

hschweitzer Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2011
    I love that big tractor! How many birds do you keep in there? Is it really 2 feet/bird, or is that a bit much...

8. barkinghills

barkinghills Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2011
    We have 40 free-range hens on a acre of pasture, and they are doing great. Now we want to add a few meaties, perhaps 3 cornishX and 3 red ranger-type. The meaties could be free-ranged during the day, but then we're trying to decide what to do with them at night to keep them safe---current coop will not accommodate them. Do we have to build another small coop, or since they are staying such a short time, is there some other type of secure but inexpensive night-time housing we can use? Our Oregon weather is mild during the time we would have them. Any suggestions?

9. WinklerFarms

WinklerFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Central Minnesota
    For only six of them you could use a big box or even a dog cage if it is just for overnight

10. KeilFamilyFarm

KeilFamilyFarm Out Of The Brooder

Our hens sleep in the coop. But for our meaties we have 2 large plastic dog crates filled with shavings that they go into at night :) Kinda rednecky but Im a dog trainer so we have a bunch around, It works for us and keeps the expense of the birds down :) All our birds free range all day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by