SHOW me photos of your redneck chicken tractor for meaties please:-)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sonew123, Jul 27, 2010.

1. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Hi Guys

I think Im in this meatie tractor thing solo as Dh will not have time to help me build anything. Which is fine Ill just screw it up myself and not blame him...LOL anyway I know the type of materials I have at home and was wondering if anyone has chicken tractors that cost nearly nothing to make and kept the chickens safe for 8-10 weeks...

2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    [​IMG]

3. Mark & Nique

Mark & Nique Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
  4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:LOL thanks for the laugh!!!

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Mark & Nique :

Howdy --

Here's a link (http://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/better-homes-gardens/article/-/5829854/chicken-coop/) to a chicken tractor design that we modified for our own use.

I made it myself with limited help from my wife, and it wasn't that expensive and can be made on the cheap by substituting scrap wood instead of driving to Lowe's.

Good luck!

That is doable:) think 15 meaties will be good in it? Ill use cement blocks on the outside to to prevent digging also keep them on wire that touches the ground-that way if something does get through underneath they still cant get in! I have less than a week to make it! thank you so much​

6. FF

FF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    Quote:Love your "tractor" haha. Hows it working for you? My cousin bought a 62 hp Mahindra with can and everything for $21,000 and still paying for it and as soon as hay season came the pto wouldn't work., They have spent over 3 months trying to figure out whats wrong.

7. robnms

robnms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Gulf Coast MS
    Here's my lazy design to a chicken tractor I built for my granddaughter, it's working so far but I'm planning on building a bigger one soon.
    It's 4" x 12" and is easy to build. Notice the white picket garden fence I put on the ladder into the coop, the small birds had no problems getting up.
    [​IMG]
    Life is good, they have it made in the shade!!!
    [​IMG]
    Back door access>
    [​IMG]
    Baby girl painting her chicken tractor!!!
    [​IMG]
    Here's my mini for the Banty that's usually out all day till he decides it's bedtime.
    [​IMG]
    I found the top at a department store that used to a a stand, I'm gonna try to get enough of this material to do a whole pen in, It's strong and free.

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:awesome love the length of that one--thats what I ws kinde thinking too--no problems with predators? Do they get locked up at night?

9. helloroe

helloroe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    Cetral FL
    That is the third coop this week I have seen with closetmaid shelving used on it. I think closetmaid has an expansion possibility and are missing the boat. I love how resourceful people are.

10. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:100% thats why I asked. I was hoping I had al the materials on hand so I dont have to spend and $ -I think it will work and I can built it myself!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by