Show me pics: blue/red splash Araucanas

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Agilityscots, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Agilityscots

Agilityscots Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    I'd love to see what this color looks like, gang...anyone out there got any to show me?

Amy

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Here is a blue breasted red I used to have. I've never heard of blue red splash.

[​IMG]

Jody

3. Agilityscots

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Quote:Thanks Jody! Very pretty. The breeder called them "blue red splash"...how different do you think it would be from what you showed me? What, exactly, does splash mean?

Amy

4. hinkjc

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Splash to me is an even mix of the colors throughout. Sounds like a cross of colors as it isn't a standard color for araucana (well, neither is the bird I showed you). [​IMG]

Jody

5. Agilityscots

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Quote:Interesting...this is a show breeder, so maybe they were an "accidental" color? I guess that happens, right? And he's offering a pair (hen/roo).

Amy

6. hinkjc

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Even some of the show breeders keep mixed flocks..I guess that is where it came from unless they are working on developing the color. Are you sure it's 'true' araucana?

Jody

7. Agilityscots

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Quote:He hasn't shown me pictures, but I think he's a pretty big name breeder (I've seen his name mentioned elsewhere), and his website shows only true Araucanas (all bantams). He also breeds show Silkies.

Amy

8. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    To be exact, splash is a bird with two Blue genes.

Blue primarily affects black coloring, changing black to various shades of "blue". For example a blue silkie is "really" a black silkie with one Blue gene. A Splash silkie is a black silkie with two Blue genes.

So a Blue Red is usually a Black breasted red with the Blue gene. Remember Blue primarily affects black pigment so the effect on a BBR rooster is basically a blue breast, tail and striping where it would have been black. Blue does not have much effect on the red/brown, that is why the brown/red usually does not get diluted in a Blue red.

Splash Blue red looks like a Pyle. Roosters have mostly an off-white chest, tail and striping with the red often still a mostly undiluted red on the hackles, saddle and wing patch. Sometimes in splashes the red does get slightly diluted to an orangish color. Sometimes a "Pyle" bird IS a splashed blue red, with hints of blue cleaned out of the tail, with the flecking reduced to a minimun, in the show quality specimens. So if you are able to imagine a splash Blue Red as a Pyle looking bird, it would be a pretty good approximation.

The rules are the same as in Blue matings(as in one can get either black, blue or splash offspring depending on what the parents are), except the expected offspring are either BBred, Blue red or "Pyle looking" birds which would be the Splash versions of this.

The reason I said usually BBred is that sometimes Blue reds are based on Wheaten pattern.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  9. Agilityscots

Jun 9, 2007
    Central Ohio
    Wow, Kev, you know your stuff! Thanks so much for explaining. That gives me a good visual idea of what these birds might look like. They sound intriguing, at the very least.

10. ParkerVA

ParkerVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Blue Ridge, VA
    I breed Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas and you get splash colored chicks from them. The are basically splash where the blue is.

Breeding any variety of blue... Blue Wheaten, Blue Red, Blue Partridge, Lemon Blue, Blue Birchen, etc, will result in some chicks with splash or black where the blue version is blue.

It is just like breeding normal blue colored birds, except here is another color/pattern involved.

So, like Kev says, replace all of the blue in Jody's bird and make is splash colored.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by