Show me pics of your quality Delawares...

Godiva

Crowing
16 Years
May 17, 2007
Colorado
I am researching this breed and was wondering if any of you folks have some good ones in your backyards? I have heard that there is a pretty big difference in hatchery stock versus a bird that matches the standard more closely. Would love to see some pics of really good quality birds and hear if any of you are able to direct me to someone who would be a source for hatching eggs. Just wanting to try out some new breeds esp ones that are hardy in heat, good layers, good meat and friendly.... am going to try a few different breeds this next year... tell me what you think of these birds, what you like and don't like...

The Delaware experts of BYC have agreed that my roo is pretty decent quality, though his parentage is questionable. I haven't had a chance to post any pics of the girls for evaluation yet (they rarely stand still long enough for a decent photo op).

normal_freerangflock2.jpg

normal_aLOR_0571.jpg

normal_aLOR_0565.jpg

normal_aLOR_0561.jpg

The biggest fault on the roo is that his wings hang too low.
PortraitsInPoultry_16.jpg

My birds are still a work in progress, and I make no claims for them except that I'm working hard on making them better. That being said, I think I can at least say safely that they're not your typical hatchery types:

George2.jpg

P1010024.jpg

DelawarePair-1.jpg

Beautiful birds The girl in the center has been said to be alright quality she is shabby looking from molting and laying. I will post new pictures when she is through her molt.
DSCN0037.jpg

Henry

Here is my Kira, 25 weeks old. Her comb isnt perfect, but bred with the right rooster, she'll produce some great chicks. She is a chunky girl with great form and color. Cassidy, her sister who I lost suddenly from an unknown heart defect (just a fluke we think), had a better comb, but she was much smaller, probably due to the heart issue. Kira is laying every single day now like clockwork.
DCP_2075.jpg

DCP_2076.jpg

DCP_2077.jpg

Here's Cassidy, just before she passed on:
DCP_1919Cassie.jpg

Beautiful girls Speckled hen can't wait till my wellie girls are older Love your deleware girl hope you have better luck starting up with them next year.

Henry

Quote:
WOW. Honest to gosh, I would give a lot for some of these, even if they never get one whit better than the ones in these pictures.

This is the "type" of chicken that I had in mind the very first time I said, "I want to have some chickens." I love them. Thanks for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom