Show Me Pictures Of Your Winter Chicken Runs

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by blueseal, Nov 18, 2010.

1. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    How Do You All Keep The Snow Out.

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I don't. My chickens go out in the snow. [​IMG]

3. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Snow... is that the white fluffy stuff they show on TV?

4. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    what you say you need a foot of snow in mississippi. lol.

5. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

[​IMG]
    Nope, you can keep it up there.
    We do get a dusting every now and then, but seldom over an inch and it never lasts over a few days. People here don't know how to handle it. The first year after my wife and I got married and she moved down here from Missouri we had about a half inch of snow one morning and all the schools were closed, the bank was closed, even the grocery store closed early. She thought it was a hoot!

6. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Check out my BYC Page! Pics 6 and 8... 6 shows the heavy mill plastic stapled on north side of run. 8 shows more of run before I got all parts that needed it covered. The shorter side of my run at back of picture 8 was not covered yet. and you can see snow in back of picture.

Once I got all but east side covered...where 3 sides where covered it worked well. Birds where outside al but one day last winter.

Dave

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    My runs are fully roofed and I put plastic on at least two sides of them.... and STILL get snow in there. No problem. The chickens don't mind, or if they do (like if the ground gets to be hard-packed very-frozen ice) I chuck some hay sweepings out there from the horse barn, or even horse stall cleanings, to give them something a little more insulating under their feeties. On normal snow this isn't even an issue though.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by