show me ur food/ water dishes

Discussion in 'Quail' started by CHEIF91, Jan 30, 2012.

1. CHEIF91

CHEIF91 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2012
    loganville,georgia
    what do you use to give ur quail enough food/water without wasting anything.
    [​IMG]

2. Apatedolos

Apatedolos Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2012
    This is sad no one has answered you. i'm still new here but i just use small glass dishes from the cabinet. my quailies do make a mess sometimes though so i keep a towel under where they eat. Its funny when they get in the food dish and and splash out all the food with there wings. I say no no and they stop ha-ha. but this really doesn't anser you question does it? sorry. maybe someone else will answer for you in a little while. [​IMG]

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    You need some little plastic waterers, the kind for poultry. Then you put the thing up on a block of wood or anything to make it about 3 inches higher. Your water should stay cleaner. Most feed stores have these waterers.

4. Lucky1

Lucky1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    i have heard that you should use a shallow dish with marbles in it so then they wont drown in the water.:D

5. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland

this is only true with chicks...

here is mine.

starting with the watering setup, i use GQF water cups, hooked up to a 5gal bucket filled with water, you can also see my feeder in there as well, i'll get a closeup of that next
    [​IMG]

close up of the cups
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

its a failsafe system, no water is wasted(and hardly any evaporated due to the tank color)

as far as feeding, i've found that the Long feeders like this one

[​IMG]

work the best, there isn't much waste as the walls are a little higher, but they only hold about a quart of feed(my 57 chicks go thru about 2.5 of these full a day) i havn't noticed any waste

in my main coops i use this
    [​IMG]

they are the plastic feeders with the quart attachment on the top, i cut the threads off the old container, and glued them to 2inch pvc pipes(fits perfect) and extended the amount that they hold(randall first showed me his, all credit goes to him)

to reduce the amount they kick/peck out you lower the pvc furter into the feeded like so.
    [​IMG]

i noticed there was still alot of waste, even doing it this way, they always seem to peck it out. so what i did was put tupperware containers under the feeder to raise it up just about over their heads, so they have to stand up, not bend over, to eat, thus they don't peck at it as much, and it wastes hardly ANY feed at all.

i think i covered it mainly, that is what i do, i know alot of people that use the 1gal water feeders, its best to raise it above butt level as they WILL poop in it.

if you have any questions about my stuff i'm glad to answer

6. Apatedolos

Jan 31, 2012
    That was really nice of you Mibotsu to show pictures of your things. i got a qestion tho do those really, really tall feeder thingys that have red bottoms and white tower things, fall over and hurt the quailies when you fill it out all the way up? It looks so wobbley.

7. Lucky1

Lucky1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Oh, sorry[​IMG] I thought you meant chicks

8. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    not at all, and i'll tell you why, look at the first picture, the pvc goes out the top of the cage, so they don't move at all actually. that and i don't have to go into the cage to add more feed.

9. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Yeah mine is set up the same way, you cut a hole in the top of the cage and the pvc goes through it, that way we can feed our birds without opening the cages

10. Apatedolos

Jan 31, 2012
    Oooooh thanks guys! I get it now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by