Show me your chick brooder

rebeccaH86

Songster
5 Years
May 22, 2015
Southern California
I just used a plastic bin made a screen for the top placed under my rack with the heat lamp above them . Worked great raised 3 different sets of chicks this way .
20200604_120312.jpg

Flat Earth

Songster
Apr 15, 2017
I understand most people just can't do what i am able with chicks, or want the mess of having them in the house.
I could not do this set up, i want to be able to see the chicks, and know me at early age, and they see me coming and going in the room. I move them out when they out grow there space in about a month or so.
I have flighty birds born that i can reach down and they will stand in my hand, i was not able to do this with ones i bought from a feed store.

Last edited:

LadiesAndJane

Life is good...
Premium Feather Member
May 5, 2020
Hawaii
I brood my chicks in the house. They end up friendlier in my opinion. I use a large "small animal" cage with a deep pan, puppy pads for liners (shavings way too dusty indoors). I also use brooder plates. Prefer these to the red heat lamps any day. I do not like using cardboard boxes, though I have in the past, as the chicks seem happier being able to see the world outside. 😊
I start taking them outside during the day around 2 weeks of age (I vaccinate for Mareks, needs a little time to kick in).
My current 4 and 6 week old chicks are sleeping inside still, but are outside all day, hanging with the flock, but still have a safe zone only they can get into.

Chickassan

Wattle Fondler
May 23, 2017
Greenville S.C, formerly Noneya U.S.A
I have all three sizes, when you aren't brooding they fold and store flat.
You can also use them as broody breaking cages if you flip them upside down or seperation pens in case of injury or sickness.
Reusable, small foot print, multi use, and last for years.
Also since the chicks have a 360 degree view they're much less skittish and grow up friendlier. :)
They're Ruff and Ruffus brand, I like them because they have an attached solid bottom and a mesh top.
Most have velcroed bottoms, with solid you can just fold the pen like a burrito and dump used litter without really touching it so easy cleaning.
61aYGn+x9bL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

Flat Earth

Songster
Apr 15, 2017
I brood my chicks in the house. They end up friendlier in my opinion. I use a large "small animal" cage with a deep pan, puppy pads for liners (shavings way too dusty indoors). I also use brooder plates. Prefer these to the red heat lamps any day. I do not like using cardboard boxes, though I have in the past, as the chicks seem happier being able to see the world outside. 😊
I start taking them outside during the day around 2 weeks of age (I vaccinate for Mareks, needs a little time to kick in).
My current 4 and 6 week old chicks are sleeping inside still, but are outside all day, hanging with the flock, but still have a safe zone only they can get into.

LadiesAndJane

This is true they are friendly with this set up, I don't use hot lights, one of the light is Infrared Ceramic Heat Emitter and the other is a red light both are 150 w i never go back to the hot bulbs!
They have dark side and red lighted side, the younger chicks that was born a week later likes to hang around the red light side. As the weeks go by the temp gets lower by 5 degrees. Not a fan of the lights but they work for me and give my chicks more room.
I have not lost any chicks with the lights, i am in the next room and even my dogs gets up to watch them.. Puppy pads i think i get some. Thanks for the info!

Flat Earth

Songster
Apr 15, 2017
I have all three sizes, when you aren't brooding they fold and store flat.
You can also use them as broody breaking cages if you flip them upside down or seperation pens in case of injury or sickness.
Reusable, small foot print, multi use, and last for years.
Also since the chicks have a 360 degree view they're much less skittish and grow up friendlier. :)
They're Ruff and Ruffus brand, I like them because they have an attached solid bottom and a mesh top.
Most have velcroed bottoms, with solid you can just fold the pen like a burrito and dump used litter without really touching it so easy cleaning. View attachment 2502227
Were you get them at? I want one!

Valley Hatchery

Top Bottom