Show me your compost bin - in or attached to your run -

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bahamabanty, Oct 24, 2014.

1. bahamabanty

bahamabanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2013
    Bahamas
    I am wondering if I should do a compost bin-annex to my run.
    My chickens cant freerange where I live like how I'd like them to.
    There are not much pictures available online for any ideas.

I found this:
    [​IMG]

And I know about the deep litter and all that but its not really what I want.
    I would like something like a pallet bin, but connected[​IMG] to the run, accessible from outside the run, maybe with a lid or covered with chicken wire.

Like this:
    [​IMG]

I am only looking for in-run or connected-to-run compost bins/areas. I have read most of the compost threads on BYC but hardly any pictures!
    Anyone build anything like this?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    We have made pallet type but not permanent, used metal t posts hammered thru the ends of pallets to keep them standing, but no cover or front on those and wouldn't be predator proof. Currently I am using compost bin hardware "legs" I got from Lee Valley tools, you just cut boards and screw into the "legs" and makes a quick compost bin - again this is not predator proof. My plan is to allow access only when I am on guard.

But I think you are wanting something to leave free access to your flock and protect them as well. Either of the type we have used could be skirted and fortified with hardware cloth…attach a framed top with hardware cloth over it as well. The hard part, I think, will be making it so you can add things to compost and how to be able to remove compost. Have you seen the framed sectional fences people do? A compost bin could be made like that and when time to remove finished product, you could remove a side to access it.

I had considered chunnel from run to compost area, but I like your idea much more.

3. nayeli

nayeli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2014
    We just use big plastic bins and we Vermi compost (use worms to compost faster)... It is better if you build your own wooden bin but it will break down eventually and you won't want pre treated wood.

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I live in very dry country, this year I am using a large cardboard box, tied down with posts. We will see.

5. bahamabanty

bahamabanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2013
    Bahamas
    Well this morning I started my bin:
    [​IMG]

the finished product:
    [​IMG]

After I added some garden cuttings...
    (I think they dont get it yet what they are supposed to do lol):
    [​IMG]

6. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I like it, nice design. Looks like you got a lot of helping hands and beaks. You may want to shut the chickens out of the bin until they are very used to laying in the assigned nests. And only let them explore the new bin while you are present until they can understand where to lay and where to play?

7. nayeli

nayeli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2014
    I think that is awesome! I think we need to build a wooden one now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by