show me your dark brahma cockrels!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by older mountain, Sep 29, 2010.

1. older mountain

older mountain Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2010
    The other day some posters told me this was a Dark Brahma cockrel. I'm still not convinced. It should be about 23 weeks old. No crow. Couldn't confirm eggs because I don't know who is laying. I saw my alpha rooster mount this bird a couple of weeks ago. It does have a bit of attitude compared to others in the flock, but has not even attempted to climb on a hen in my presence. Show me some of your birds for comparison, please.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    If it is a Dark Brahma, he is definately absolutely a boy..

Pullets have silver/gray penciling, very different pattern that your cockerel. I don't have any pictures, but once some people post some I think it will be clear that he is a boyo albiet a bit submissive.

Here is my Dark Brahma girl, around the same age:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  3. older mountain

Sep 26, 2010
    I'm not certain it is a Dark Brahma. It came in a mixed egg layer batch. However, hatchery says it always throws in an extra for fun.

4. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Two options;

Dark Brahma Cockerel
    Silver Laced Cochin Cockerel

If it has a single comb, cochin........pea comb, dark brahma.

Definitely a boy though. I had some dark brahma boys and girls earlier this year and currently have silver laced cochin boys and girls.

5. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    Dark Brahma rooster, and a nice one at that.

6. older mountain

Sep 26, 2010
    someone, I think my blue andalusion young rooster, is pulling the feathers on the back of this birds head. Would a rooster let that happen? Can it just be the bottom of the "pecking" order? Or do brahma's just mature a bit slower? My other roos are a RIR and a Blue Andalusion. The RIR is about 3 weeks older and definately in charge.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    As Morgan has already pointed out, the dark brahma roos feather out completely different from the hens.

Yours is a dark brahma cockerel. Not a cochin, as the leg feathering is only on the outside; in cochins it's all the way around the leg.

Here's my Thor when he was younger:

[​IMG]

And when he was about a year or so old:

[​IMG]

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yes, if he's low on the totem pole. Until I re-homed my former alpha roo, Thor was at the very bottom of the pecking order. Shunned by everyone. If he's getting feathers yanked out, try a little pine tar on the spot - just don't put it on anywhere near his face. Pine tar will give the young andalusion something to do besides pick on the poor brahma, like trying to get the pine tar taste out of his mouth. [​IMG]

ETA: Yes, the brahmas mature very slowly. Thor didn't stop growing until he was nearly two years old.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by