Show me your "dog house" coop...please?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by augustmomx2, Apr 13, 2009.

1. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    So, I recently have gotten a flock of standard girls (13) & I'm in love [​IMG] Also, a little obsessed over these girls!

I ordered them all from Ideal, but next year I would LOVE to hatch some Silkies & Bantam Salmon Faverolles. Per the advice of this wonderful site, I need to construct another coop/run for my banties.

I currently have a plastic dog house that our dog has always refused to use, it looks similar to this:

http://www.doghouses.com/dog-houses/plastic-dog-houses/barnhomedoghouse.cfm

Does anyone have pics of their plastic dog house coop & run (if needed) that they would be willing to share? I just don't know how to construct the run & the interior of the house. Also, how many chickens does yours hold? Any info will be greatly appreciated! TIA! [​IMG]

2. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Here is mine from last summer, when it was housing 3 standard and 2 bantam chicks.

[​IMG]

When my chicks were in it I had a 2x4 fixed in the middle for them to roost on. It is currently housing 3 Cornish Rock chicks now (with a light inside for heat.) I would think that about 5 bantams adult would fit comfortably inside it.

I have 9 standard chicks in 2 brooders right now and I'm getting ready to start adding on to my chicken run and turning part of our big shed into a new coop. [​IMG]

Edited because I need to learn to read slower. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2009
  3. tn chick

tn chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2008
    SW Tennessee
    ohh i like that idea

4. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Me too [​IMG] That looks perfect & not too labor intensive. I think I could totally do that, even w/out the help of dh. Then, I could kind of just "sneak" in my new coop & run. [​IMG]

5. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Here is where the idea for ours came from. It was my birthday present last year (along with the chicks, of course.) Best wishes! [​IMG]

6. oparea

oparea Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2008
    Saint Marys, GA
    Not the best picture, got it from lowes built the pen from scrap lumber.

[​IMG]

7. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

The plastic "barn style" doghouses featured in the OP link seem to have a bad tendency to leak. I checked out Petco, Petsmart and WalMart online reviews and they all claimed leaking, puddles in the floor, and one even called it a "covered swimming pool" so I'm not going to buy that kind.

8. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Tala, I got mine (seen in post #2) from TSC and it doesn't leak at all. MUCH cheaper than Petsmart too! I paid $60 for it last May and Petsmart has the same one for $80. [​IMG]

9. Alley

Alley Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    Eureka, California
    Please post more! I have a very large dog house (just like first post) that I want to turn into a coop. I have a dog kennel for the run but I want to put the dog house a foot or so off the ground on the outside of the run, cut a hole in the wire and run a ramp down to the ground. My thinking is that it will keep the girls form roosting on top of the dog house and it will also give them more room in the run.

Also,what about ventilation? Should I drill some holes in the front to help it from getting humid inside? It has a plastick flap door. How do you attach the rusts to the inside of the coop?

What do you all think? [​IMG]

10. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    How would you preditor proof the front of the thing?

To me, it just doesn't give enough space for a roost, feeder, and waterer.

Those poor birds would have any space to move around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by