Show me your double decker coops and hen houses!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by A.T. Hagan, Dec 22, 2010.

1. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Now poor old Joe Bryant is trapped in a frozen wasteland up north aways and I promised him I'd start building a double decker Silkie condo next week after Christmas. I need to get the Kinder Major's birds out of the brooder so I can get a chick order in come January.

I've got a vague idea of what we want to build, but I'm always ready to learn from good examples so if you've built some sort of double decker poultry housing how about posting some photos!

My idea uses 2x4s for the legs and main supports. The first deck will be two feet off the ground and based on a full sheet of plywood. The lower deck will be subdivided into two 4x4 apartments using a removable divider. Height between the lower deck and upper will be eighteen to twenty inches so the upper deck will be about three feet six to three feet eight inches above ground and will be built with a removable divider as well so we can have either four 4x4 apartments or two 4x4s and one big 4x8 area or both decks be completely open. The roof will be solid to shed rain and the back wall will be solid since this thing is to go on my car port that faces south to block both sun and the summer rain which mostly comes out of our southwest. The sides will be solid for the bottom six inches or so to retain the bedding and half-inch hardware cloth above.

I haven't quite figured out how I want the doors on the front. One door for each apartment mostly likely. The bottom six inches will be solid with the half-inch hardware cloth above like on the sides. I'll probably fashion removable shutters for the sides and parts of the front for those occasional bitter cold fronts we get in the winter, but otherwise I want to maximize airflow since this is Florida and it gets hot and sticky.

The legs and main supports will be pressure treated. The plywood likely not. The whole thing will be painted and the floors lined with plastic before putting in the shavings. Feeders will probably hang from the overhead and maybe the waterers as well.

What do you think? Anyone have any photos they'd like to share?

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    [​IMG]

3. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    [​IMG] C'mon, Joe's waiting!

4. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    [​IMG] me too [​IMG]

5. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

My coop doesn't fit your description of what you are building for the silkies, but the interior is multi level and houses bantams. I currently house 5 cochin hens in it. They use all three levels with the ladder openings to go up and down. More photos are on my BYC page or on my website.

[​IMG]
    Roosting area

[​IMG]
    Mid level with access to the next boxes to the left.
    This wire platform lifts out for hosing down/ cleaning and I can actually stand inside the coop when it is out.

[​IMG]
    Nest Box area under the roost level. Pictured is my old flock of Large Fowl. They also used all the levels regularly, but they didn't hang out inside like the bantams do.

[​IMG]
    The pop door is automatic and opens out to a covered run. The water and feeder out in the run.

6. Leah and peeps

Leah and peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    [​IMG]

7. calista

calista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2010
  8. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    It has two floors and each floor has two doors, 1 entry from covered run to their play area (has no roof, only 4ft of fence around it) and to the pond. I temporary put it like this.
    I close the door to the coop at is connected to the play area at nights. They also have a 7x7 shed and a small coop inside the closed run. I don't know if that makes sence but look at my BYC page and you'll know what I'm talking about [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wish it showed much bigger, sorry

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by