Show me your dream coop!

Moxette

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2020
Sheridan, Wyoming
Well with Coronageddon in full swing we are looking for ways to keep busy on our 5 acres over the next (hopefully very few) weeks. I am a business owner who got closed down just yesterday. We don't want to start anything massive (like the remodel we had planned starting next month that may not happen). But building a new coop is just right. Plus my very handy husband needs a project ASAP before he loses his mind.
I am looking for ideas on a practical hen palace for north eastern Wyoming. Our current set up for 18 hens and 1 rooster is good, but we want more. I have a solid customer base that is always wanting more eggs. We have a 10x40 concrete pad that we can use (all or part of).
Things I wish I had that I don't currently have currently in the coop I have used for the last 5 years...
#1 a man door so we don't smack our heads on the way out.
Easier cleaning
Easier feeding, possibly a built in feeder that I can fill with a 30-50 pound bag of pellets.
Better storage options, we would like to build a storage shed for food and supplies in with the coop.
Our current coop has electricity and windows, any thoughts on easier cleaning window ideas would be appreciated. Mine are a poop trap.
I don't usually need to heat much in the winter even though it gets very cold, just enough to keep the water from freezing. Overheating in the summer isn't much of an issue with moderate ventilation.
We have door that goes up at sunrise and down at sunset, they are free range during the day year round.

Show me what you got! I am more interested in practical than aesthetics. Hoping to build from 19 up to a flock of 40ish over the summer. Stay healthy and sane during this absolutely crazy time.

Our current set up for 18 hens and 1 rooster is good, but we want more.
Whatcha got now, pics and dimensions?
How long have you had them?
Curious about the window cleaning issue.
Sounds like you've got some pretty good ideas about improvements.

My Coop(see the link under my avatar), built in an existing shed, is pretty much perfect...
....tho I kinda wish I had more chicken space.

Oh, and... Welcome to BYC! @Moxette
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1584912659661.png

Thanks! Northeast Wyoming, I have been trying to figure out where to add my location. Got er done... We got 4 vinyl windows and a 6 foot door from the hardware store today for 80 bucks (cheap is my favorite color).

Thanks! Northeast Wyoming, I have been trying to figure out where to add my location. Got er done... We got 4 vinyl windows and a 6 foot door from the hardware store today for 80 bucks (cheap is my favorite color).
Great!
Here some guides for navigating the forum....including adding pics.

Back
Top Bottom