Show me your ducks swimming area!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by shiningeyes, Oct 31, 2016.

1. shiningeyes

shiningeyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2016
    I'm looking to improve upon our smaller duck pen/run and would love to see some of your swimming areas. Ours is currently over rocks but they splash so much it ends up on the dirt floor of the run. Thanks for any pictures anyone would like to share!

2. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    I've been unable thus far to keep them from splashing. I just kinda roll with it. I started using straw in the run this year.. it composts nicely and while I probably won't use it in the house it keep things from getting muddy and seems to promote worms, pill bugs and other duck yummies.

3. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

I took the pool out of my Run...They only use it when free ranging...Plus I worry about them Breeding and drowning each other if I am not their to separate them...Silly Ducks.....

Cheers!

4. bydhatch

bydhatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2016
    NC
    Mine have a kiddie pool in a rocky area when they free range. Any water in the pen ends up a mess!

5. The Duck Ladie

The Duck Ladie Duck Addict

Feb 23, 2016
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    [​IMG]
    I range my ducks, so I just have 3 kiddie pools I empty and refill everyday( yes they drill holes...). I try to put the pools under a tree so they can hang out under there and not be visible to hawks and whatnot. It also kills the grass underneath the tree so I don't have to mow under it[​IMG] (Don"t you hate mowing under trees? Branches whacking your head and all that?)

The Duck Ladie you have an awesome setup

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  7. Dion Fiacre

Dion Fiacre Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2016
    PNW
    Hello,

We have a pretty big spring fed pond that fills up all across the back of our property for a few months of the year.
    [​IMG]
    When the pond isn't big enough we have an 80 gallon watering trough and 3 or 4 little pools for them. There are little steps on the back of the trough that you can't see from this side.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  8. shiningeyes

shiningeyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2016
    Thanks so far everyone! I love seeing all the variation-shows almost anyone can have duckies! Keep 'em coming!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by