Show me your egg basket! *update* I made one!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Nonny, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    For those of you who only have a few chooks, can you post a pic of your egg basket? I'm looking to make or buy a small basket for my 2yr old to take out to the run to collect eggs in, and another bigger one that will sit on the kitchen counter to store them in. I've seen the basic wire ones, but they look a little boring. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  2. I know its the metal type, but it's PINK!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's a smaller one, for my smaller # of chickens. Came from the Dollar store of all place. cost me $2.00!!!!

[​IMG]

3. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    We only have one hen of six currently laying. I have a nice egg basket that I found at an antique store and then a glass hen dish that sits on the counter and holds eggs. I purchased the vintage glass hen dish on Etsy.

[​IMG]
    Egg basket by Raven Wren Designs, on Flickr

4. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Here is what they sit in on the counter.
    [​IMG]

We use a Elmo basket to collect them. It looks goofy but it is padded so there is less issues with my daughter breaking eggs when she collects them. The neighbors laugh about it all the time.

[​IMG]

5. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    I have a cute basket I bought at a flea market for $2, hand made too! It's tall and thin, wide enough to cut a bit of egg carton (4 egg spots) to place in the bottom of it. I have 5 hens and usually get 4 eggs a day.

Got tired of throwing everything in the front of my shirt... cell phone, pack of gum... now it all fits in the basket with a bottle of water too! The basket gets smaller towards the bottom, protecting the eggs from the water bottle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inside holding basket, it's metal so once it's full I can set it in the sink to run water over them while I rinse and put them away in the fridge.

[​IMG]

6. Nonny

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    These are gorgeous pics!! Thanks so much for posting them. I think I will be keeping my eyes peeled when we go to the flea market this weekend.

I especially l love the Elmo.... something padded is ideal for my little lad too, as he has to carry the eggs all the way up the steep back steps to our kitchen and he's inherited his Dad's sence of balance. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  7. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Quote:OHMIGOD that vintage hen dish is adorable! [​IMG]

8. Nonny

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Well I'm still going to keep an eye out for a basket for the bench, but tonight I got my creative juices flowing, and recycled one of my shopping bags to make this little 4-egg carrier for my toddler to collect the eggs in. I've tested it out well, and it can be jiggled and jostled a fair bit without eggs falling out. :)

I get to test it out in the morning!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. How cute!!!!! great way to reuse it too!

10. April's Chicken Ranch

April's Chicken Ranch Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    Willow River BC
    You guys just leave your eggs out all the time... or?? I thought I had to store them in fridge like I've done all my life with store bought eggs. AM I missing something here?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by