1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Show me your egg stands

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wberry85, Jan 29, 2012.

1. wberry85

wberry85 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2011
    Milton, GA
    I am wanting to start a little stand by the road in from of my house selling eggs so I can get a little bit of money from them. Right now they just pile up in my fridge or given away. I am wondering how I can put them out for people to just come and take them and leave some money in a jar. Is it bad to leave them out in the sun all day? It gets hot in Georgia the majority of the year and I dont want to use ice or run a cord out for a fridge. What do you guys do?

2. wberry85

Feb 21, 2011
    Milton, GA
    Bump for egg stands :)

3. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    I used to pass by a house that had a cooler on the porch with eggs in it. They had a bench with a jar on it for money.

4. wberry85

Feb 21, 2011
    Milton, GA
    Man did they replace the ice every day? I am not sure its worth the small amount of money my eggs would make me :(

I am also not crazy about people coming up into my driveway...never know.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  5. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    Their house sat right on the road, and I never stopped sk don't know about the ice.

6. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    We run open hours on Saturday only from 9-4 here. Our house has a huge wrap around porch so we have our signs out at the road and a table on the porch. We spend Sat doing chores and building pens or repairing them so it is a win/win. We usually sell out of chicken eggs by the end of the day and start over again collecting, cleaning and packaging for the next week. Our 13 year old son helps greet customers and sells to them. I have a price list on the table and a customer preorder book for some items. It works for is, and the customers love chatting and learning about the birds.

We give no tours, have the top of the drive blocked off, with signs posted "Please do not enter". If we have chicks or ducklings available I bring them up from their brooders for people to see, I hold them and then return them to the brooders or place in a box for the customer.

7. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    If I were to be a "you guys" I may try to help, but here in Georgia I'm a y'all. So I'm not much help. [​IMG]

8. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I don't have an egg stand. People just call or email their order and pick them up. Never had a problem.

9. KBlue

KBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Katy, TX
    For some reason I'm thinking that there is a cooler out there that can be plugged in and kept cool, negating the reason for ice. That would depend though if you were able to run an extension cord out to the end of your driveway...which may or may not work.

aha!...Google "electric cooler", some options come up...

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  10. i just sell them to my dads company, i email them, he brings them putts in fridge, he receives money and that goes toward their feed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by