show me your elaborate watering setups!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Mibotsu, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    alright, well i've recently gotten into more quails, and i realize that very soon, the 26oz rabbit waterer and the small waterer for the brooder will not suffice for much longer

wondering what kinda elaborate setups people are using to water quails. i was thinking about building like..a water tower, maybe made out of a big 55gal garbage can with a drain setup at the bottom that, maybe went to some pipes with connectors so the birds can get the water.

it will be going to at least 2 coops.

anyone got something sorta like that, i think model_A did ?

2. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    I don't have a pic of my current one. It's a cooler hooked up to the gqf drink cups. Right now I'm using small rubber tubs for the chickens. Hopefully I'll have them all on one heated system by winter.

3. Mibotsu

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    definitly getting those GQF cups, and probably a big garbage can(new of course lol)....i'll have to seal the lid on, cut a hole and seal a hose into the hole so all i gotta do is turn the water on from the spigot and let'er fill up

4. Mibotsu

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    omg, made a QUICK draft of what i'm thinking of:

[​IMG]

yea, its ROUGH but its a basic idea....what ya think?

5. Mibotsu

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    the waterer would be about 4 feet in the air, that would be 2 feet above the base of the coops, i don't know ANYTHING about the psi needed, but i heard it should be no more then 5 feet above the watering thing for the quails... [​IMG]

6. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    [​IMG]

7. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:Okie Dokie, unless you have a "pump" in your water system that generates pressure to keep your system "charged" to provide flow to the drinkers, you're gonna have to have a reservoir of water above the destination point. We're talking "Head Pressure" now. Without me gettin' scientific, you ever bought one of those 2-1/2 gallon plastic containers of spring water at Wal-Mart? If so, ever notice how powerful the water comes out when it's full....vs......when it's near empty? In good ol' southern english terms, when it was full, there was more "head pressure" to get the water out faster. When it started gettin' empty, that pressue constantly reduced. Here's a pretty good read that will help explain how to calculate "head pressure" of water for any given size supply tube......... http://www.ehow.com/how_7231875_calculate-water-head-pressure.html

If
    you don't understand this, I'm sorry.....may try to explain it a different way, but if you want to spend a few dolla's......set your system up with a "pressure reducing" valve....... http://www.cutlersupply.com/cart/in...ducts_id=492&zenid=pgbaqtchelnos39s1lvcrpuhv0 ........ Keep in mind, it's got to be a "reducing" valve. Some folks have bought "regulators" with the intent of cutting the pressue down to keep from blowing drink cups and such up.........wont' work......it only "reduces the flow rate". Flow rate and pressure reduction is like apples and oranges.......completely different!
    Hope this helps.......this typin's makin' my carpal tunne syndrone'd wrists cut up........LOL

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  8. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    [​IMG]

this is BigJims setup, multiple gqf cups all with 1/4 tubing and connectors, notice the rubbermaid container just atop the cage, it supplies 4+ cups very well.

[​IMG]

shout out to BigJim from SC.

btw Mibotsu, passed by Hilton Head exit on the way here, gave ya the ol' Quail salute. [​IMG]

9. Mibotsu

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    ah yea, exit 8 on i95, back at ya, nice setup he got there!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by