1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Show Me Your Fence Pictures For Your Chickens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DOEBOY, Sep 11, 2011.

1. DOEBOY

DOEBOY Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2011
    I am fairly new to the chicken rearing and have put the cart before the horse buying too many chicken too fast. Well before I really knew the penalty of chickens pooping on the carport floor. Needless to say my wife is not happy, with the poop that is. I love my chickens, so does she, we have 24 total, 20 that are teatering on the fence to start laying and 4 old hens that give 1-2 eggs per day. Anyway I think a fence will be the solution to the problem with the poop. My coup is a converted dog palace on stilts and I think I did a fairly nice job on the coup and the run that is attach not having any plans to go by and all. So I would really like to build a fence to offer some protection from the large pedators ( foxes, coyotes, skunks, ...) during the day time but mostly to keep the girls in. So I can still enjoy martial bliss. Also to be able to let them out first thing in the morning and corral them so the only place they could lay is in the coup. One of the problems is the shade in the summer time heat or even a place to block the wind in the winter. I would like to build a fence that is permenant and looks nice. I was thinking about using 2x4 hog wire, what we call it, and treated 2x4 lumber. It would be approximately 30 x 60 ish depending on the space for the garden out side the fence. If you have pictures please post them I am somewhat lacking in the creativity department. Thanks Doeboy

2. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    [​IMG] We have three different runs and they all look like this,preasure treated sticks with chicken wire ,and apron out about 6inches to a foot and avairy netting on top,I also put big rocks around the botton not shown in this picture.

3. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Started as just an elevated coop with small attached run, then added fenced run, then a "carport" over coop for shade, then added metal roof over run for more shade & protection from muddy, then added ditch alongside to keep mud down even more, then... (to be continued). The summer heat was brutal & I have a very compassionate & patient husband!
    [​IMG]

4. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Very simple... 4x4 posts with 4x2 hardware cloth stapled in.

Except it wasn't so simple because I only have 1-2 inches of dirt... then granite slab underneath. Had to have a fence company come out and drill into the granite.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It has held up very well to predators. A small skunk did get in last winter a few times, but I took care of that stinky problem.

5. DOEBOY

Aug 26, 2011
    Thanks all I'm thinking in terms of a 4 foot high fence that looks sectional. I don't think they will fly over it being they are not very flighty birds. I would like to build something that has a flat wood rail at the top with the wire stapled to it so it will be tight. I have considered placing a land scape timber on the bottom against the ground. I buried 4x4 post 8 ft tall for my run and by the time I got to putting the roof on the run they had warped. I dont want to repeat the same thing with the fence. looking do a professional fence at brother in law pricing. Thanks for the pictures anybody else. Doeboy

6. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

7. AK Michelle

AK Michelle Bad Girl of the North

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
    I have both chain link and the 4X2 welded wire "stock fence" and they both work just the same. My Icelandics and Turkeys fly over, but the egg-layers seem satisfied to stay where they belong. Our ground is a glacial bed and basically it is pit-run gravel, so I just use T-posts (I'm too lazy to dig in the rocks) and zip ties. I know they sell all kinds of fancy shmancy fence clips, but I swear my zip ties. I always keep them on hand.

When I had goats the goats could break every fence clip known to man in a matter of minutes, but zip ties kept them in. Now I use them on the dog fencing, the chicken fencing, just everywhere. In the winter when it's -20F I don't want to be outside for hours patching a fence, plus I don't need fancy tools to use them.

Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of chickens [​IMG]

8. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    Quote:If you have hawks in your area I would close the top off,they tried to get my chickens

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  9. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Our run is 22x5x5 with welded wire and a chicken wire skirting. We are currently adding a roof and will board up the front where we need shade. We will cover the remaining run with plastic or boards for use all winter long.

[​IMG]

10. DOEBOY

Aug 26, 2011
    This last fence is more what i'm thinling about. I'm thinking that if I make a 4x8 rectangle maybe 4x16 and plant 4x4 posts on the ends. I can build a fence that will keep my chickens in and look tight to the wood. I have seen many 2x4 fences and the problem is the slop with metal fence post and crooked wire. I have a run with a cover that the chicks will be in at night and let out in the am. I would also like to build some hides weather it be for the hawks or the sun. I am planning on putting a grape vine in the fence for a hide for later. I have seen a few hawks in the area but the crows run them off in quick order. I lost 3 hen about 6 wks old to a skunk or maybe a ground hog not sure. but no trouble since but ready for it. any more pictures would be great thank you for your help. Doeboy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by