Show me your FREE coops

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Zahboo, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I know a lot of people on here use recycled materials. I've never done one for FREE, but I've had one for $10 and one for abou $7. My others were all less than $100. Show me them all MUAHAHAHA. If you have one less than $100 show those too!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  2. Lach Cnoc Farm

Lach Cnoc Farm Songster

Apr 16, 2009
    Western Washington
    mine was totally FREE!!!

everything i used was just laying around here, either ours or given to us a while back.

it still needs to be painted and moved, plus some minor finishing stuff, so far it hasn't been used yet, but i am really excited to try it out!

here it is:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. freebirder

freebirder In the Brooder

May 3, 2009
    Probably came in under $100
    Built against one wall of preexisting shed. Used lumber I already had including some marine grade plywood which I saved when I replaced the flooring in my boat. Poly sheeting (for more light) cost about $30.
    Wall material cost about a buck a board. $30
    Already had fencing material for their run (I like to call it my walk in aviary)
    Did have to buy some chicken wire to keep lower section a little safer. $12
    Wood screws and special Poly sheet fasteners cost $18
    Cement blocks $8

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. luvanimals3

luvanimals3 Songster

Feb 8, 2009
    Georgia
    The only thing I had to purchase for my outside brooder was screws. My layer chicken coop was around forty dollars all of the wood was recycled but about three 2x4. Love it. [​IMG] Not the best pictures and I need to finish painting! But they get the job done!

[​IMG] this stays really warm in the winter suprisingly!

5. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Songster

Nov 5, 2008
    Ohio
    Ok this one we built off the side of my barn with scrap materials.
    [​IMG]
    this one I built later to seperate chickens all out of pallets.
    [​IMG]
    Then my tractors are leftovers from projects or recycled stuff the hinges are even from yard sales.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Neighbors gave me this old shed that I renovated with wood and materials I already had on hand. Had to buy some paint and hardware, which cost about $50.

url=https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/22798_futher_henhouse.jpg][​IMG][/url]
    Now it looks like this:

[​IMG]
    And the other Chicken house was an old dog house already on the property when I bought this place. I added a front to it, windows, etc. May have $40 in it.
    [​IMG]

7. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Crowing

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    Mine is made from parts of our trailer that we used to live in, including the linoleum flooring. The only thing we had to buy was fencing for the pen.
    [​IMG]

8. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    very cool!

9. cposz

cposz Songster

May 5, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    We modified our old doghouse for an intermediate coop for our chicks, until they are big enough to hold their own with the big hens. (It's the small gray one). All it cost was a sheet of plywood and the hardware.

The coop is shown here without ramp and run.

[​IMG]

10. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Songster

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    This is one of our growout pens my son built out of pallets. He used old levalor doors to make a front door and the top is made from roof metal that someone gave us. All total it cost us 5.99 for nails. It isn't finished in this pic but DD has my camera so I can't get a new picture. Its 4 x 8. He also built the outside nest boxes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It isn't complete in these pics. The RIR's are in it and loving it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: