Show me your mauve silkies!

Chikyboy

Bantam Cochin Collector
Oct 14, 2021
Nebraska
Hi! I like seeing diff silkie varieties, especially the rare ones! I mainly want to see the mauve silkies, though I would love to see any other "rare" silkie varieties! The closest I have to "rare" is blue partridge.

Hi! I like seeing diff silkie varieties, especially the rare ones! I mainly want to see the mauve silkies, though I would love to see any other "rare" silkie varieties! The closest I have to "rare" is blue partridge.
You will not find any as recessive Chocolate is very rare on Silkies, Platinum on the other hand is possible with Dunn and Blue

Beige vs. Platinum Blue​

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/beige-vs-platinum-blue.747745/

Chocolate silkies​

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chocolate-silkies.478638/

Chocolate/Dun Silkies?​

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chocolate-dun-silkies.424021/

That was then, perhaps someone that got a hold of Sex linked Orps has already completed the project of creating sex linked recessive chocolate silkies

Last edited:
I know this was posted sometime last week, but here’s some of my mauves. I have two cuckoo mauves and one solid mauve. One rooster with two hens 😁 I only just found out last week that one was a rooster, at ten months of age! He looked exactly like then hens for the longest time then suddenly began to crow and mount my hens! He is pictured on the far left in the photo of the trio lined up, and is featured in the second photo as well. The solid mauve is one of my hens 😁
7A8498D0-F8C5-4865-9D84-19465D320B9E.png
68FF4C93-511C-454C-A08A-746F84D8A0DA.jpeg
1B82BBA3-7F10-4D3C-8BC7-8E03B2339A51.png

I know this was posted sometime last week, but here’s some of my mauves. I have two cuckoo mauves and one solid mauve. One rooster with two hens 😁 I only just found out last week that one was a rooster, at ten months of age! He looked exactly like then hens for the longest time then suddenly began to crow and mount my hens! He is pictured on the far left in the photo of the trio lined up, and is featured in the second photo as well. The solid mauve is one of my hens 😁View attachment 2919615View attachment 2919617View attachment 2919618
Nice ones!

These hens are not rare per se, but here are two of my hens that I find to be very unique. One is a splash with red leakage that I plan on using in a calico project. I love the way her colors look together 😁

The other is the result of a blue cuckoo rooster x splash hen. As a baby she looked as though she’d be a blue cuckoo but as an adult she is very light colored like a splash but also has visible barring all over her body, so I just have been calling her a splash cuckoo
C565F030-937C-4B55-B898-674EE292F269.jpeg
A201BFEE-A2CF-4BC4-A2D5-DAE45F778613.png
5E1CAE76-257E-43C9-848A-94257CB84AE0.jpeg
20E57893-61A5-455A-80BC-F794789CE819.png
😄

Attachments

• 3A9C733B-84A2-4616-A03D-4E0661A705B1.jpeg
    3A9C733B-84A2-4616-A03D-4E0661A705B1.jpeg
    695.7 KB · Views: 21
If anyone is curious about the genetics on the mauves…my understanding is that the breeder had both chocolate and mauve roosters, with one of the mauves being cuckoo. She at one point crossed some of the chocolate roosters with blue and splash hens and then crossed the resulting hens back to her mauve cuckoo and also to her chocolate roos.
Crossing the chocolate roosters with blues tends to give a darker shade of mauve than crossing to a splash. I did end up with one of the chocolate x splash mauves and it is much much lighter in color, so light that I do not think I’ll even use her in my breeding program. I prefer the richer colored mauves.
378FB2F5-EEF1-4740-A251-2237B7AAB97D.png
74E79519-ADBB-4BCF-B934-DD13CD08FE1B.png
Here are a couple pictures of the chocolate x splash and you can see in one pic next to one of the other mauves how light colored she is.
The chocolate rooster x blue hen resulted in the hen that is pictured on top of the coop. She has a much richer and darker color than the chocolate x splash combo.
The two mauve cuckoos were a result of crossing the mauves from the chocolate x blue breeding back to her mauve cuckoo rooster.
Sorry if that was confusing lol I just wanted to share the backgrounds in case anyone is attempting to breed mauves and isn’t sure where to start

I know this was posted sometime last week, but here’s some of my mauves. I have two cuckoo mauves and one solid mauve. One rooster with two hens 😁 I only just found out last week that one was a rooster, at ten months of age! He looked exactly like then hens for the longest time then suddenly began to crow and mount my hens! He is pictured on the far left in the photo of the trio lined up, and is featured in the second photo as well. The solid mauve is one of my hens 😁View attachment 2919615View attachment 2919617View attachment 2919618
Those are awesome! Especially the cuckoo one!

These hens are not rare per se, but here are two of my hens that I find to be very unique. One is a splash with red leakage that I plan on using in a calico project. I love the way her colors look together 😁

The other is the result of a blue cuckoo rooster x splash hen. As a baby she looked as though she’d be a blue cuckoo but as an adult she is very light colored like a splash but also has visible barring all over her body, so I just have been calling her a splash cuckoo View attachment 2919634View attachment 2919637View attachment 2919639View attachment 2919640😄
Wow! Love that splashed with the red leakage! If you breed splash to splash, you get 100% splash. So you can use her for the calico project AND try to breed red splash's, or whatever thats called

In the next few years I will start breeding project to make more varieties of silkies, including silver laced, black crested white, white crested black, white crested blue and many others. Most of them (If not all of them) will be used with polish

In the next few years I will start breeding project to make more varieties of silkies, including silver laced, black crested white, white crested black, white crested blue and many others. Most of them (If not all of them) will be used with polish
I’ll have to try and see if I can follow you so I can keep updated on your projects, I’d love to see the color combos that you mentioned!
My mauve hens have just started laying so I’m very excited to see what shade of mauves come out of breeding the cuckoo rooster to the two hens! I’ve heard different shades of mauve can occur but there aren’t a ton of mauves out there so I don’t have a lot of info to go on.

I have a satin chovender, or chavender (Chocolate x lavender, he looks chocolate) rooster that I may also try with the hens at some point although I really don’t want to cross satin into my mauves. I may attempt it though to get some mauves/chocolates that don’t have the cuckoo pattern. It’s hard to find chocolate and mauve roosters though so I don’t have a lot to choose from lol
422984DC-FB30-4F39-A7A7-9B2F519AB3F5.jpeg
Here is a picture of the satin chocolate x lavender rooster I may end up using at some point as I’m curious to see what shades I’ll get, should be a variety somewhere between chocolate and mauve, but once again I’m hesitant to cross satin into my mauve line 😬

Back
Top Bottom