1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Show Me Your McMurray Birds

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by mountainpridefarm, Jan 8, 2010.

1. mountainpridefarm

mountainpridefarm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2010
    I checked the rules and this seems to be OK with them...

I am contemplating pretty much every DP breed in the catalog, but these are the ones I am really interested in NH Reds, Rhode Island Reds, All Rocks, Dark Cornish, Orpingtons, and White Wyandottes. I will be foremost and upfront I am looking for a nice heritage breed that will dress out in a timely manner so please post age with the pictures. I would REALLY appreciate this as it has been mind boggling.

2. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:If you are looking for layers that also do well as meat birds you might want to think about another strategy. Many of the MCMurray and other hatchery birds are great layers and fall within the general parmaters of heritage and dual purpose, but in my experience the laying part is very well developed and the meat part not so much. If meat is important you might want to look at Buckeye's Maybe Cornish, and you might want to consider checking here for small breeders that focus on the Dual purpose breed in a more profound way.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  3. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    I ordered the "meat-n-egg" combo package from McMurray last year. It included 15 cornish x's for meat, and 10 layers of many varieties. It was a good deal price-wise.

4. mountainpridefarm

Jan 3, 2010
    I did forget to mention, no flame sparking intended - but I do not wish to raise super fast growing meat birds for various reasons.

Meat is important and I would like a 4lb bird (dressed) at 18-20 weeks, oppose to a mere 8 weeks.

5. ChickBond 007

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    Quote:then the Cornish X is your bird. It does nothing but eat/poop/eat/poop and by 10 weeks, eat/poop/eat/fight/eat/poop. It is a bigger bird at 10 weeks, likely 4-5 lb dressed. I encourage you to find a way to keep them outside, non-indoor-brooder, as they have odor unmatched.

6. mountainpridefarm

Jan 3, 2010
    Quote:then the Cornish X is your bird. It does nothing but eat/poop/eat/poop and by 10 weeks, eat/poop/eat/fight/eat/poop. It is a bigger bird at 10 weeks, likely 4-5 lb dressed. I encourage you to find a way to keep them outside, non-indoor-brooder, as they have odor unmatched.

Did you mean *not* my bird?[​IMG]
    I find their genetics to be impure and the results of it not humane...

7. ChickBond 007

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa

Did you mean *not* my bird?[​IMG]

You're correct... they are genetically engineered to eat, eat, eat, grow, grow, grow. Their sole purpose is a meat bird.
    There are lots of dual-purpose birds in the McMurray catalog, but not likely the size you seek in a short time period.
    I'm not suggesting that you choose something you don't agree with ethically. I just thought you wanted a fast growing meat bird.

Edited to add: I just re-read your post. You said you "didn't" want fast growing meat birds. My error. Reading too fast.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  8. mountainpridefarm

Jan 3, 2010
    Quote:Did you mean *not* my bird?[​IMG]

You're correct... they are genetically engineered to eat, eat, eat, grow, grow, grow. Their sole purpose is a meat bird.
    There are lots of dual-purpose birds in the McMurray catalog, but not likely the size you seek in a short time period.
    I'm not suggesting that you choose something you don't agree with ethically. I just thought you wanted a fast growing meat bird.

Edited to add: I just re-read your post. You said you "didn't" want fast growing meat birds. My error. Reading too fast.

LOL, I figured you misread, but just incase you were serious. I have heard the CornishX are nice size at 8 weeks, not sure I would like that.

9. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    this r my orps that i got in 6/29/09 24 hens and two roosters and also the fist egg i got on 1/1/10
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

six months and 1 week old

10. mountainpridefarm

Jan 3, 2010
    Quote:Very nice birds! McMurray Orps right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by