Show me your outside brooder!!!!

Completely outdoors?
I didn't brood my chicks in the house and never will, but I did have them in a predator proof shed. Chicks are way to vunerable to predators.

I love mine! Obviously, I can only use it in the summer (when these pics were taken), but it is perfect for that time! My DH built it for me
love.gif
And NO we do not have predators!
smile.png

Older guineas on the bottom, younger guineas on the top left side and my evil OEGB who was in rooster jail on the right
somad.gif

ftworthcutting032.jpg

This past fall, brooded chicks & guineas from day 1 in this, they had their warm little house for chilly evenings if needed, plus a kitty litter pan filled with dirt, grit, and DE for dustbathing! Older guineas (from the above picture in the left side) on bottom. Oh and my Fro
cool.png
she came trotting by as I took the pic
lol.png

newmexico017.jpg

And yes, the tin on the roof is upside down! It was the only way we could bolt it down with the peaks and valleys lining up to the frame correctly.

ETA: We live in a super dry climate, and with the help of DE, the birdies on the bottom stay nice and clean and aren't affected by the chick poop that falls through the hardware cloth from the top. I just sprinkle DE through the top floor and use a long handled rake to reach in and turn the dirt underneath. Did I mention I love this thing?! LOL

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom