Show me your pics of feeders and waterers!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by birdbrain5, Nov 23, 2010.

1. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    I need some ideas on feeders and waterers, how you made them or where you got them. I need them big enough so I can go away for a few days and not worry. Also I am looking for set ups that the food and water stays clean!! I bought one of those red and white waterers and hung it and it still gets disgusting, I tried to raise it higher and still, gross. Thanks!

2. shopchicks

shopchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    I used 5 gallon Lowe's buckets for mine. The feeder is just a bucket with holes cut out of the bottom 2" on the sides, with a rubber horse feed pan bolted to the bottom. I hang it from the underside of the coop by the bail and get basically zero billing/feed wastage, and it lasts 2-3 weeks between fillings for 5 birds.

Waterer is just another bucket with two poultry nipples in the bottom, and a tiny air hole drilled in the top of the side. It was easy to add a tank heater to this by cutting a notch out of the lid where the cord comes out. The lids are 99 cents, so I'll just use the notched one for winter, and another one when I don't need the heater.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Here's a pic of one of my feeders (link to plans in my sig. line) and a pic of one of my waterers (more pics and details on my BYC page). I also have nipple waterers in 5 gal. buckets.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Here is a link to a page of many feeders and waterers with details on how to make them: https://www.backyardchickens.com/chicken-coop-water-feeder.html

4. K8tieCat

K8tieCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
    My coop is 8x8x8, the run is 8x40, and I have 10 standard hens I have a closet in which I keep all the feed and water storage. Here is an 11 gallon food grade water tank which gravity feeds to a 9" low pressure drinker. I love it. I can leave town for a week and my girls a good to go (except for collecting eggs, of course). There are two water tanks, one indoors and one outdoors. Wouldn't you know it, the girls prefer the one outside, but take their nightcaps inside when it gets dark. The 22lb hanging feeder (hung as high as possible under the roost) and another 9" drinker on a cinder block stays high, dry and clean. The drinkers get cleaned out every 7-10 days. I hear that the little nipple drinkers are the way to go, but for now, this is a successful system.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gosh the things we do for our feathered friends!

5. trailgurl

trailgurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2010
    the "e" planet
    for a feeder, we just cut a PVC pipe in half, sanded down the rough edges, and attatched feet. for our waterer, we just have a regular bowl:)

6. turbokev

turbokev Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    NH
    I built a simple hopper on to the back of my clean out door..

Will hold a 50 pound bag of feed, but I usually put about 30 - 35 in it..

Lasts for a few weeks with 8 chickens~

[​IMG]

7. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    wow these are all great help! thanks! keep them coming! [​IMG]

8. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    Feeder on the wall holds about 75lbs[​IMG]

9. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    [​IMG] HAD TO PUT CHICKEN WIRE OVER THE FEED BECAUSE THEY KEPT PUTTING IT ON THE FLOOR THE WIRE WORKED GREAT

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by