Show me your pre-made/built coops!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by PlentywoodFarm, Mar 21, 2013.

1. PlentywoodFarm

PlentywoodFarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2013
    Gainesville, Missouri
    Hello everyone,

There are a lot of threads about self-built coops, which are absolutely amazing, but not a lot on pre-made coops. So let's show a little love to those of us who aren't so handy, or just plain ran out of time (we qualify for both of those things!). If you feel comfortable, include price and manufacturer too, so others who are looking for pre-made coops can benefit. I'll go first. We ordered this little beauty:

Chicken Coop Condos- Grovespring, MO
    http://chickencoopcondos.com/coop-models/econo-coops/
    $600 for 4'x8' design. We plan on adding onto the run when we get it.
    We get to pick it up in 45 days!

[​IMG]

What do you got?

2. It sure is far more rewarding TAKING the time to build a coop on your own. And the results may exceed your expectations. But if you must buy one...... Just being jovial as even I do not have the time to build one myself right now. Have you seen the prices on wood lately?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Daviserik55

Daviserik55 New Egg

Mar 21, 2013
    I built my own coops. Just want to show:)[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

4. Daviserik55

Daviserik55 New Egg

Mar 21, 2013
    [​IMG]

5. ScottM

ScottM Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't believe I've heard much great things about prefab coops. If in your situation, I'd approach a local high school woodworking dept and fund a student/class project

6. PlentywoodFarm

Mar 15, 2013
    Gainesville, Missouri
    Great Coops. There is something about barn red ones that I love. Great idea ScottM about a local woodworking class. Mine isn't actually fre-fab, it is just being built by someone else, a local construction worker who has a side business of building coops. We have seen them before and they are really well built. Maybe I should revise the post to say any coop not built by yourself...

7. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
  8. escape

escape Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    I'm glad you started this thread. We just had our coop delivered the night before last and I was so impressed with the service and the coop that I wanted to share... but wasn't sure if anyone would want to know.

In years past, we built everything. We even built our own home. Every nail in this house was pounded by either my husband, my son or me. When we had the barn put up by Morton, we did all the interior work. We separated the riding arena from the front of the barn and built three horse stalls and a shop for hubby. The stall area and shop have heated floors.

We are no strangers to building. BUT - we aren't as young as we used to be. When I got the chickens, hubby said "I am not building a coop. I don't care what you decide you want. Just pick it out and then BUY IT."

So, on March 4th, I ordered a coop from Horizon Structures. I called them first and told them that I'd like to order, but needed to make sure that it would be delivered within four weeks. Three weeks would be better, but I could wait four weeks. They said that they could do it.

Two weeks and two days later, I got a call that it was on it's way. The truck driver said that he wouldn't be getting to Illinois until after 8pm and gave me the choice to have it dropped off that evening or wait til morning. I chose that evening. He called when he was about 5 minutes away and we met him at the barn. It was unloaded and he helped hubby put it in the shop so that we can do some add-on's before we put the girls in their new home.

I loved the service. I love the coop. It's well made and cute.

Cost delivered - $2400
    http://www.horizonstructures.com/chicken-coops.asp

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. PlentywoodFarm

Mar 15, 2013
    Gainesville, Missouri
    Cute coop Hokum Coco.I love those little windows and the nesting boxes.

One thing with manufactured or already built coops, is that they seem to say a lot more chickens will fit in them than chicken owners do. I am absolutely new to this and I had planning on buying a coop on craigslist which said it held 5-8 chickens... I posted just before buying it and people let me know right away it was way too small for 6 chickens. I think the coop was only 4' x 2'! I've also noticed this with others that are either being sold on craigslist, in stores or online. What is up with that?

I absolutely love yours, escape! Great proof that they are some high-quality ones out there. Are you guys going to free range, or are you planning on building some type of moveable run with it?

1 person likes this.
  10. res

res Chillin' With My Peeps

I just want to throw this out there... Sometimes you can get more bang for your buck if you buy a shed that can easily be converted to a coop vs. a pre-built coop. Our 8x10 shed was $1700 delivered, and all we needed to do was put in a roosting bar, nest boxes, and a door to make it "useable" by the hens. We went a little further and laid a cheap sheet of linoleum down, fully insulated it, and lined it with OSB. But those are optional....
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or, you can convert the area under a shed workbench into a coop. SUPER cheap and very little "work"!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by