1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Show me your rabbit cages/hutches?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by MonkeyZero, Apr 23, 2008.

1. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Hi

I am getting a mini rex. I need help setting up a cage, or maybe Ill get a hutch built. Please psot pics for some Ideas, PLEASE...

2. farm_mom

farm_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    MI
    Here are pics of our mini-rexs named Rex and Ruby (by my 4 year old daughter) these cages I bought online at www.bassequipment.com. I bought the starter kit which included the cage, the waterer and feeder. I also bought a urine gaurd for each cage and a mat to keep them from getting sore hocks.
    [​IMG]

Right now I let them run around in the chicken run (my 5 wk old silver greys are too scared to use it!!) [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But we'll be putting their cages in our coop this spring and building them a hutch and outdoor run of their own when we get a chance. For now, they love exploring the house and playing with all my kids scattered toys!! [​IMG] We've been really happy with the breed so far. Good luck!

3. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Here are our hutches that we now use for our chickens. At this time, they are housing our extra roosters. Eventually we will use them for quarantine and growing out chicks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope this is some help and good luck with your new rabbit!

Dawn

4. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    This is what I use for the rabbits. It is right next to the chickens and goats. It gets plenty of air flow and sun in the morning. I have never lost a rabbit due to predators. The cages are easy to clean with a wire brush. There is no wood to hold smells or to rot. They are hanging from the rafters and are held to the back to keep from swinging around. All the feeders are on the outside and are easy to fill.
    I have mini rexs and I love the breed. Right now I have 10 new babies.
    The cages are also great for chickens.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Farmgirl, where did you find those cages?

6. FarmGirl01

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    They are the ones that are at all the feed stores. They come in a flat box and you put them together. About 25 to 30 dollars, I think. (Havahart) I did buy the larger ones to give the rabbits room. It is also big enough for the nest boxes.
    I got the idea from a guy that breeds rabbits for meat. I am very pleased with these cages and the arrangement.

7. FarmGirl01

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Here is a better picture. I have 5 of these. Rabbits in three so far this year.
    [​IMG]

8. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:Hi. I am getting a holland lop in a week. I am so looking forward to this. When will you be getting yours? I hope you post pictures when you do [​IMG]

9. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Please remember that rabbits also make fabulous housepets, with a little bit of environmental modification for safety. I have a 7 year old rabbit that has never lived in a cage; she hops around my house, uses a litterbox, and gets along great with all my other animals. Visit www.rabbit.org for more information.

10. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Quote:Mine is going to be a house rabbit too [​IMG] I have a great cage for my new baby and i plan on taking her out daily, but we have a Brittany, and as long as he is alive, my new bunny will get some cage time. Its a HUGE cage though. She is soooooooo soft [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by