Show me your Rooster Bachelor Pads!!!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Smitty's Farm, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    I was wondering if anyone has any pics to post of their rooster bachelor pads.

I was thinking a dog house might work. Does anyone use one?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Here is a video of our bachelor pad for our Serama now. The two hens in there we had just got from a friend so that is their quarantine area for the month. I just noticed I called Teddy bear a guy but it was a girl. She now has all her feathers back [​IMG] And is laying almost every day for us. With this bachelor pad our Serama runs free outside with the hens free ranging for 4 hours every night as well.

http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x202/2breakaway1968/?action=view&current=Newbreederpen.flv

3. Smitty's Farm

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Quote:Thanks for posting!!!! Sounds like you do something similar that I'm doing now, except our roo doesn't have a coop yet. I'll have to download something to view it. I'll try it again in a min.

My original flock all turned a year old in April, so I guess they are about 1 yr & almost 5months old.

Napoleon has really done a number on the girls and they look so ratty. I have looked & looked for critters w/ none to be found. I even went out to the coop at night in case it was the kind that were hiding out in the coop.

We separated him early spring after the weather was nicer and let him free range during the day, but we'd coop him up w/ the girls at night for safety. The girls weren't recovering b/c I think he was getting them in the morning before I could open the pop door.

Now we let him free range during the day and he sleeps in the run at night. Then we do the "switcheroo" and put him in the run and let the girls free range in the evening before bedtime. It varies each night how much free range time they get. It's longer if we don't have to run off to take dd to soccer practice.

I know I'll need something for him soon, so ...........
    I'd love to see more pics if anyone else can post them.

THANKS!!!!! [​IMG]

4. Smitty's Farm

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Anyone????? [​IMG]

I know there has to be some more pics out there somewhere to share of roo bachelar pads.

I'd really appreciate seeing them. PLEASE!!!!!!!

Thanks!!!!! [​IMG]

5. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Don't have a picture but really don't need one.

I use a wire dog crate. (I have picked up three at garage sales, usually pay around $7-8) I currently only have one GLW rooster that is in a crate.

I only keep one rooster in with the laying hens. I do hatch some of my own so the roosters go into these crates when they start to show interest in the girls. I don't like my hens all tore up so it's only one rooster.

This rooster like the others that came before him will be chicken-n-dumplings this winter.

6. Jessika

Jessika Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp162/happydazejesi/roopens.jpg

there
    are little 1 room/square box/house in each for rainy cold nights. I ended up with 3 BR Roos and 3 GLW Roos this year. Ironic part was in spring I went looking for 1 BR roo and 1 GLW roo. I got 2....now more of my "pullets" are roos. So I have them coming out my ears.

The 2 in picture are waiting for their prospective ladies to get a lil older (only 14 weeks right now). This is just temp but works well.

7. Smitty's Farm

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Thanks for the pic!!! [​IMG]

That's really cute.

Napoleon definitely needs a coop of some sort b/c it can gets pretty cold here & rainy. He was in the coop with the girls all winter.

I know what you mean about the roos coming out your ears. I just re-homed 4 cockerels. Two were BO that I hatched, one was a gorgeous EE boy that was suppose to be a pullet b/c I wanted more green egg layers, & a 6 week old EE that was suppose to be a pullet also. They were all not very nice to the ladies, so I couldn't keep them.

We love Napoleon and want to keep him. He's part of my original first flock and I've raised him since he was a day old.

I also have a younger black Ameraucana I want to keep that I hatched this spring that is still living w/ my teenage pullets. I hope he stays a gentleman.

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I was going to post a pic of the freezer but I resisted. [​IMG]

Usually if I have extras they hang out in a 4x8 tractor for the night but go ahead and free range with the rest in the day. I can't seem to find my upload of it though.

9. Smitty's Farm

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Quote:We love Napoleon to much for dumplings. He's to lean & wiry from marching all around the run protecting the girls anyway. He'd be to stringy. [​IMG]

Do you put the wire crate in the coop with the girls at night?

Don't you love those cheap finds. I found a nice wire rabbit cage w/ a removeable dropping shelf to use for transporting, separating or sick bird, but paid $10.

10. Smitty's Farm

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Quote:[​IMG] Freezer!!! Ha!Ha! Very funny!

Napoleon wouldn't taste very good. He'd be to stringy for sure.

How cold does it get for you in the winter? I do have a day tractor that my teenagers are hanging out in during the day until we finish coop or intergrate some w/ the older layers. I might could use that. It can get pretty cold, rainy, snowy or icy here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by