Show me your roosts please

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by misty7850, Oct 16, 2009.

1. misty7850

misty7850 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Fort Covington, NY
    I am redesigning my chicken coop and want to put in a better roost.. Looking for ideas.

2. ksct

ksct Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    [​IMG]

THIS IS SIMPLY 2X4'S WE ANGLED AND SCREWED THE STEPS IN WHEN WE HAD THE BRACES STURDY. KNOWING OUR BIRDS ARE REDICULIOUS..... WE TOOK ANOTHER 2X4 OFF ONE OF THE STEPS AND USED ANOTHER BRACED TO THE CEILING AND SCREWED TOGETHER (FORMING A BACKWARDS 'L' - AND NATURALLY THAT IS WHERE THEY ALL WANT TO BE... DESPITE THE FACT THAT WE PUT UP ANOTHER 2X4 OVER TO THE LEFT OF THE 'LADDER' SO THEY WOULDN'T FIGHT OVER THE BEST SPOT. WE REALLY LIKE THE 2X4 USE BECAUSE THEY HAVE PLENTY OF ROOM TO KEEP THEIR FEET WARM AND THEY CAN WALK ALONG IT WITH NO PROBLEM (LIKE FALLING OFF ETC)
    THEY DONT' LOVE THE LOWER STEPS AND THEY DON'T REALLY USE THEM TO GET UP HIGHER EITHER..... AS I'VE READ ORPINGTONS LOVE HIGH PLACES.....

HOPE THAT HELPS!!!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  3. that_crazy_lady

that_crazy_lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Rose, OK
    I don't have pics yet, but we just bolted some limbs to the wall/studs

4. Chick-a-roos

Chick-a-roos Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2009
    Blue Ridge, GA
    This is a small roost since I only have a few bantams. Under the wire is now sand that I can scoop poop from the pop door in the back.

[​IMG]

5. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    [​IMG]

6. awtandrocks

awtandrocks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2009
    Florida
    not a very good picture but the top board is about 4' up and 5.5' long (10 chickens)
    [​IMG]

7. Quadog

Quadog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2009
    The roost is the curved Sassafrass limb attached to a removable tray above the nest boxes.

I've read that sassafrass helps control lice & mites.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  8. misty7850

misty7850 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Fort Covington, NY
    Thanks very much to all of you for the helpful pictures. I like all the idea's. I am using 2x4's, it gets mighty cold here up upstate, NY so the broad side of the 2x4 is best for their feet.. and of course it supports their fat butts better, LOL..
    I think I will use a combination of ladder type roosts with one 2x4 going accross the length of the coop.
    Today I moved my nesting boxes to the front wall of the coop and put an access door in, so I can collect the eggs from inside the barn without entering the coop.

Chick-a-roos, I'm gonna save your idea, next year I want to add another coop area in the barn and get a few bantams, so this will be a handy reference.

9. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    misty we are from syracuse area and it does get cold.. we did this.. it is so easy to keep clean too.

[​IMG]

10. valerieb

valerieb Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2009
    Richwoods, Missouri
    Here are mine. I have two above and two below with a platform in between with poop trays on it. The roosts are 2 x 4's.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by