Show me your silkies haircuts please!

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
Also, has anyone tried clipping their poof with electric clippers?

I had to cut Jethro's poof this evening. I used baby fingernail scissors. The scissors are brand new, but I didn't like the way they pulled on her poof. Jethro was very good for the scissors, but I hated the way she looked when we were done.
Tomorrow evening I plan to do Ellie Mae's. My DH suggested we try his tiny electric clippers (used for beards and moustaches) and clip the poof in a mohawk. I wonder if Elle will freak on the noise?

BTW, I know their poof is properly called a crest, but I like poof better
tongue.png

You can kind of see his trim in this picture. I use fingernail scissors and carefully trim it away from their eyes. It ends up looking like a sort of mohawk. I'll see if I can find more.

You can buy, "hair tape" at your local beauty store--this will hold up the crest out of the face so you don't have to cut it!
wink.png

More shots of both boys. It's actually trimmed more right as first. It grows out over time and you have to periodically redo it.
I don't plan on showing either one of these so cutting their hair is no big deal. I haven't had any luck with the hair tape, vet wrap, barrettes or pony tail holders. My lot can get all of those out in a very short time.

IMG_6917.jpg

IMG_7029.jpg

Thanks
smile.png
We're going to try to do Ellie Mae's (now called El, since she is a he) hair tonight, with the battery operated clippers.

Hey Grit
frow.gif

Where are the pictures of those cuties ???? You know we all love a silkie pics
smile.png
I trim around the eyes with small scissors. It does take away from their beauty, but at least they an see. I do have one that I do not trim, but she is going to the show. After the show, she will be trimmed though. Her eggs are never fertile, because her butt fluff gets in the way. I did take a bit of that antibiotic ointment and wiped it around her eyes, it keeps it out of her eyes for a few days. I guess you might could use vasaline too, but I wasn't sure, so I just used the ointment instead. She could not see at all. I tried the tiny rubber bands and gave her pig tails. Too much crest for one ponytail. She had them out within mintues.

If anyone comes up with a really good way, please do share.

Quote:
Howdy!
frow.gif

I'll try to get pics of the little boogers soon.
We really get a kick out of Jethro. She tries so hard to be a "real" chicken. When the other chickens run off and leave her and she realizes it, she first jumps straight up in the air, before running after them. Tell me, what does that jump do her? Is it her boost button?
lol.png

El is a loner, sometimes hangs out with the CXs. I suspect that's because El is a cockerel and trying to avoid my crazy turken cockerel.

Quote:
Howdy!
frow.gif

I'll try to get pics of the little boogers soon.
We really get a kick out of Jethro. She tries so hard to be a "real" chicken. When the other chickens run off and leave her and she realizes it, she first jumps straight up in the air, before running after them. Tell me, what does that jump do her? Is it her boost button?
lol.png

El is a loner, sometimes hangs out with the CXs. I suspect that's because El is a cockerel and trying to avoid my crazy turken cockerel.

So, Jethro turned out a she and Ellie Mae is the he?? Oh, those crazy silkies.............. always fooling you! Tell El to put his big boy pants on and give the Crazy Turken a good what for!! That's too funny. Love the Boost Button.

Back
Top Bottom