1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Show me your temp houseing for young chickens?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by vjbakke, Dec 23, 2011.

1. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    We will be getting chicks in the spring. We need to make temp housing for them before they are large enough to be adding in with our older ladies. Something small, only for 4 chickens is all we need. I want to have it in the run and separate them from the older one with fencing. I would love to see what others have done.

2. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    I use a baby swimming pool and a cardboard box that I undid and rolled into a circle shape. I added a plastic window for the curious kids and chihuahua. Filled the bottom with shavings. I also ran a 1" x 2" piece of scrap wood through it so the chicks can practice the art of perching. They love it, we love it and I've used it for three hatches and counting! Cost = free. If your run is covered, you really could just use a big box so the larger ladies can't jump into it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  3. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    Quote:Looks like a Chihuahua's fireplace..... Great idea!

4. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    Wow thats a great idea! i get a lot of boxes from work so we could do that. How long do you keep them in there? We are planning on waiting until the new girls are about 4 months old or more to let them be with the older girls.

5. afveteran88

afveteran88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Deerfield, Michigan
    I used the pool also but they grew out of it in a week or so. I guess if I were to have some now (when it's cold) the cardboard sides would work great.
    Thanks

6. bzbrown

bzbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

I turned an old shipping crate into our temp bator. We used a plastic tub the first time around, but I wanted something a little more solid. The shipping crate is just pressed wood and u-nails, I just re-enforced everything and added some hardwire to the top.

[​IMG]

7. Shakey

Shakey Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2010
    Auburn, AL
    we use rubbermaid bins with wire tops... really easy to clean, store, etc. you can look at my page to see them.

8. Shakey

Shakey Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2010
    Auburn, AL
    we use rubbermaid bins with wire tops... really easy to clean, store, etc. you can look at my page to see them.

9. joan1708

joan1708 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    DFW - mid cities, Tx
    Shakey, did you complete your coop? Would love to see the pictures. Also, love the dogs. I used to have a lovely dapple dachshund, she has passed on several years ago. I still miss her.

10. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I've used dog crates.
    I made some out of PVC I had lying around.
    I've even used large furniture boxes taped together to give it a sort of "condo" effect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by