Show me your windy weather coops / tractors / runs!

Feathyr

Crowing
9 Years
Aug 21, 2014
Idaho
As the title states - I'd like to see coops designed for windy / stormy areas. Bonus points if you have high gusts!

We live in an valley with frequent (if not daily) wind - anywhere from 5 to 20MPH, 25 or more on bad days. My flock is expanding next month and while I'm set for the current time, I'll need to build some additional enclosures at some point. A lot of portable coop / tractor designs just aren't made with wind in mind. 😕 An example would be those little urban coops - I was given one several years ago, and found out the hard way that a gust of wind can easily flip (or roll) it. We've remedied the problem by using T-posts to stabilize it, but after the last incident it isn't suitable for anything but firewood.

Looking for any and all ideas, and curious to see what your solution(s) are. Thanks for sharing!

Agree on those little Amazon coops. I ordered a cheapie just to use some of the pieces for a brooder inside my coop. And well, it's just a lot of wood. I'm at the base of Mt. Hood on a River. We get everything from high winds to snow to trees exploding from heat. So even though it's not just high wind area my coop/run gets beat up all year long. We joke that we should actually take shelter in the coop during weather events because it's just so bomb proof. Foundation is railroad ties. Walls 4x4's, framed with 2.4's. Roof is sheet metal on plywood with 1 million screws (I love my dewalt.) my run is chain link kennel.
IMG_9622 - Copy.JPG

We often get 40+mph winds. The back of our coop is drilled into the concrete slab and connected to an old clothes line post. The front of the coop is connected to post that are in buried concrete pillars. It doesn't even move during our high winds. Here's a picture of when we were building it. The second shows the amount of overhang we have. It keep any blowing wind or snow out since we have such big openings. The last is to show you that you can't even see the post since they're buried.

Attachments

• IMG_20200425_205939_077.jpg
    IMG_20200425_205939_077.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20211022_134846.jpg
    20211022_134846.jpg
    444.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20211022_133644.jpg
    20211022_133644.jpg
    704 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom