Show me your..............

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Wolfwoman, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Nesting boxes!!

I wasn't sure if this should go here or in egglaying...

Anyways, I am in the process of moving and will need to construct new nesting boxes. Am looking for possibly freestanding as the coop is going to be a dog kennel.

Any input is appreciated.

2. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Here's a picture of my nesting boxes I built from scrap lumber. It's a 8 box cluster with a slanted board over the top to prevent roosting on top of the boxes, the slant top is hinged and I keep empty egg cartons there to collect the eggs in. The slanted fronts of the boxes is also hinged, so I can shut off the nest boxes when I have juveniles making the transition from floor to roost. Otherwise the Juveniles will try to roost in the boxes and foul them. I built this by "winging it" with no plans, just scrap and an idea of what I wanted to end up with. There are also little "egg doors" that I can open in the back of the boxes from outside for a reach in to obtain eggs rather then go in the coop. (For the Missus and wimpy kids, I go in the coop)

[​IMG]

3. Wolfwoman

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    I like this! I especially like the slanted front because right now mine roost on the front edge and poop INTO the box... [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Love the comments, your chickens are very talented.

5. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I'll have to see if I have good pics....

6. moondog425

moondog425 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    tn
    [​IMG] from inside the coop.
    [​IMG] from the outside looking through the top door.
    [​IMG]The whole coop, nesting boxes on the left.

7. abercrombie575

abercrombie575 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG]

We made these nesting boxes out of an old dog house. It works just fine. I like going into the coop to gather my eggs so I have a chance to look in on all of my girls. I just put hinges on the back of the lid and a handle on the front to lift and get eggs out. You can see that we put it on legs so it sits about 12-18 inches off the ground.

8. ZombieChickens

ZombieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    Easiest nesting boxes EVER!!!!!

9. Wolfwoman

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    OMG I love the bucket ones! I could even put them on a stand... how do you keep the other birds from roosting on the front??

10. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    I have 2 nest boxes for 5-- soon to be 6 hens. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I need to add a 2 inch high strip of wood in front of them, then I'll be done.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by