Show off "mixed breed" egg colors

Delmar

Songster
9 Years
Nov 26, 2010
Indiana, a dozen miles from MI
I thought it would be fun to have a thread that celebrated the different color eggs you get when you mix breeds. I am particularly interested in any surprises you got!

Does it get even more interesting when you cross mutts with mutts?

I once put a Giant Partridge Cochin roo over a Light Brown Leghorn... and she laid a gorgeous cream colored egg...

still looking for the pic.

A bigger version than my avatar. We now have some that lay even darker eggs.

16143_feb_2009-8.jpg

We have a RIR roo in with the girls right now. We have an Easter Egger that lays nice blue eggs. If I understand correctly their offspring has a real good shot at being "olive eggers" do they not?

When you cross an Easter Egger with a breed that lays white eggs is the tendency to get eggs that are lighter blue?

Quote:
No. You'll just get EE green eggs.

Olive Eggers and true olive eggs come from a DARK brown layer x blue or green layer.
smile.png

As to the EE x white egg question, yes, granted the EE has the genes for blue, not green.

I've got an Easter Egger mutt that is part Polish, part EE. She lays light blue eggs.

I once had half Black Copper Marans, half New Hampshires - Laid pumpkin paste orange eggs.

I have various Olive Eggers - not laying yet but expecting different shades of dark olive.

I have some EE's from different breedings too, not laying yet but expecting different shades of a normal EE green.

I have some Black Copper Marans x Polish, expecting light brown or speckled eggs, but they're too young to even wait for eggs. They're just about 2 months old, still time. . .

At this moment, Olive, super-dark Plive, and Slate Gray are the only egg colors I don't have. Otherwise, I've got blue, robin's egg blue, light blue, shiny green, matte light green, pink, brown, speckled brown, pumpkin-orange, dark red, purple, and white.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom