Show Off Your American Gamefowl!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BANTAMWYANDOTTE, Dec 27, 2011.

1. roosterhavoc

roosterhavoc Overrun With Chickens

Jan 5, 2012
    Better hope you never get incapacitated while out on a nature hike. You may rethink that as a coyote chews your legs off lol

2. roosterhavoc

Jan 5, 2012
    I would tell you to trap them but you can't do that either in CA. Slingshot is your best bet.

3. JShubin

JShubin Overrun With Chickens

Jul 23, 2013
    Southern California
    My Coop
    I do have a good slingshot/ wrist rocket lol. Crossbow as well...

I have plenty of chicks.. and not enough wildlife here. So I don't plan on shooting anything... maybe the squirrels.. they keep eating my pumpkins that I am trying to grow... plenty of ground squirrels!

4. sdm111

sdm111 Overrun With Chickens

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    Come on shubin can't go huggin a maple while chopping down a Douglas fir lol. I totally respect your decision on not killing yotes and whatnot but I've had to thinem out round these parts they would clean me out, pre electric fence no problems since

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  5. JShubin

Jul 23, 2013
    Southern California
    My Coop
    I understand its different out there. I think I might have a different point of view if I grew up in rural area.

Its tough out here for humans and wildlife to survive together, competing for the same space, water and food. I don't want to see coyotes disappear, like the wolves, bears, sheep, etc that used to make California their home.

Plus coyotes are too much like dogs; which I see as intelligent, caring creatures. Sure they'll rip us apart if given the chance, but that's nature. If I was starving I would hunt my neighbor's chickens too.. I cant blame them..

6. sdm111

sdm111 Overrun With Chickens

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    Yeah especially the water part. Was that fire I saw on tv close to u they said your town or city

7. JShubin

Jul 23, 2013
    Southern California
    My Coop
    There was/are a few fires going on... There was one that was in my town last weekend, but I don't think that one made the news. My sister and her family had to evacuate for the night.. everything was fine tho, just a precaution.

I just finished a new backyard sprinkler system, just in time for water rationing. lol

8. roosterhavoc

Jan 5, 2012
    Your fighting a losing battle shubin. California is one of the lost causes. There isn't a hunter alive that wants to see a particular game animal disappear. After all that's what they're hunting.

9. roosterhavoc

Jan 5, 2012
    By the way shubin if you have that many ground squirrels the coyote should have plenty to eat without feasting on your baby chicks. Contrary to popular belief most animals don't need human help to survive. Most people cause more problems by trying to help. By allowing that coyote to even get close to your chicks your doing it a disservice cause when he gets close to someone else's property he may be shot on sight. Your taking away his fear of humans which = dead coyote.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  10. JShubin

Jul 23, 2013
    Southern California
    My Coop
    perhaps... I still have hopes, us west coast hippies really want to restore the wildlife and progress is being made. We reintroduced Big horn sheep back into the Sierras, and bear are coming back in great numbers.

I just read an article about the coyote they caught in New York cafe... glad we (Californians) don't freak out like that. We did have a mountain lion in Santa Monica basement that made the news. Of course we saved it an released it back into the wild.. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by